15" TiPowerbook Hard Drive Replacement

enathan1085

Registered
Hello all,

I've recently started looking in to replacing the hard drive on my 15" 1Ghz TiPowerbook running OS 10.3.9. I've looked online and found some instructions on how to replace it my main questions now are concerning which type to replace it with. I've pretty much decided that I'll go with a 100 gb drive, but what I'm hung up on is 5400 vs. 7200 rpm. I'm operating on a college studen't budget so which would be the most bang for the buck? Finally, which brands are recommended and which should I stay away from? As always, thanks for your help.

Nathan

5200 would be faster than your current 4200. I guess the real question is: Do you need the speed increase of 5200 to 7200 (whatever that might be in a real-world situation). Are you doing professional Video, 3D or high resolution print graphics on a daily basis?

If not, you should be fine with the 5200. Even if so, you probably won't notice the difference between those two on most things. If you have below 1GB of ram it might speed up your general virtual memory/paging though.

Tough call. I'm in the same boat.

Back