160GB drive = 127GB formatted?

OrganLeroy

Registered
I just had a new 160GB internal drive installed in my G3 iBook. It's blank but formatted (Mac OS Extended Journaled), and reports a capacity of only 127GB (127.81, to be exact).

Is this normal? Is this an issue that's specific to the iBook? Or did the store install a smaller drive than they claimed to?

Losing 8 gigabytes on a drive like that would be considered fairly normal; 30 is a bit extreme. You could try reformatting it, maybe something went awry in the last format. Is there only 1 partition? If there is only 1 partition and the drive continues to report that figure after reformatting, contact whomever installed it for you.

Having done a bit more research, this appears to be due to the iBook G3 having an older disk controller. I wish the techs at the store had bothered to tell me that before selling me the drive.

Having done a bit more research, this appears to be due to the iBook G3 having an older disk controller. I wish the techs at the store had bothered to tell me that before selling me the drive.

Yeah, sorry about forgetting that; I figured the tech didn't sell you a drive too big for the iBook.

yes, or controller can't see anything over 127gig, as its too old. and with an ibook, there isn't anything that you can do about it either.

Back