17' iMac G5 Fans.

Moptop

Registered
Lately, the noisy fan in my Imac G5 has really been annoying me. What can be done to fix it?

I've read this, but I'm not into chopping up my computer..

I'm not understanding your issue completly because the fans don't make the buzzing noise. Is it that the fans sound like they're going running at really high RPM? or is there a high pitch buzzing noise like what you hear on a crt monitor or tv?

If your G5 is 1.6 Ghz and 17" there is an almighty problem with overheating- so much so that Apple has an extended repair program to replace the logic board and power supply ($1000) for free.Good for 3 years from original purchase of computer.Check their web site or just take it to a dealer- they know all about it.
In the meantime download Hardware Monitor for a free trial to keep track of your hard drive temp. As it heats up the fans go into overdrive. If it gets over 85 degrees C your iMac will shut down/sleep. If this is the problem fix it now. Got mine done and my fans are silent now. :)

Ah, mines 1.8ghz.

I've already replaced the power supply once; it had died a while ago.

When im operation my computer, doing cpu-intensive stuff, the CPU heat gets up around 160°F / 75°C.

I'll get a reading on my hard drive temp soon.

Edit:
Idle stats-
CPU: 143°F, 61°C
HD: 102°F, 38°C

You're still within the normal temperature range, the computer will shut down at 85 or 86 C which would be 185 F. I have my Hardware Monitor ap set to tell me when it gets over 75C and it frequently does, but not much higher than that now.

The URL for the Repair Program is www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/
and it covers 1.8 and 20" as well. You can check your model number there. But it seems as if you're not overheating.

When mine first started, before I knew about the overheating, i dusted it out but that really has little impact. There was hardly anything there and they're not meant to be taken apart to dust!
Good Luck!

Back