17" iMac RAM installation

wapstar

iAussie
I want to upgrade my RAM. I currently have 256 and 512, the 512 being in the user accessible slot.
I want to get a 512 for the other slot. Can I get to it myself. (my iMac is almost 1 year old and I guess the warranty is up any way)
I am pretty tech savvy so I want to do it. Just looking for some advice or instructions on how to get it done right.

It is a 17" 500Mhz iMac

Tips please

Look on the internet. I've seen instructions for installing ram in the other slot. The other ram is like PowerMac ram, not like the user accessible slot.

All you need is a towel on a flat surface. Shut down the computer, unplug it. Now unscrew the user plate with a phillips screw driver. You now have access to the additional memory slot and the airport slot. That is all you need to do. Put the user plate back on. You are set to go.
You might have a problem finding the Ram to replace the internal manufactured installed one.

Cheryl said:
All you need is a towel on a flat surface. Shut down the computer, unplug it. Now unscrew the user plate with a phillips screw driver. You now have access to the additional memory slot and the airport slot. That is all you need to do. Put the user plate back on. You are set to go.
You might have a problem finding the Ram to replace the internal manufactured installed one.

Cheryl, did you miss the first post? Wapster wants the upgrade the RAM in the internal slot, not the user slot. The whole bottom plate has to come off for that upgrade.

Check out the link in my previous post. It has all the info you'll need to getting to the internal ram and replacing it.

That's probably not difficult... as long as you are used to build electronic equipment. In this case you MUST be very cautious with the thermal management.

Back