17-inch iMac vs. Yao Ming powerbook

pensfan

Registered
Just wondering ...
If you were in the market for a new Mac, would you prefer the 17-inch iMac or the large new PowerBook?
Is the portability worth the price increase?
Anything the PowerBook does that the iMac doesn't ? or vice versa?
I've always preferred desktop, but I'll admit, these new PowerBooks look awfully tempting!
Kevin

If I had the choice, and money was no factor, I would definitely get the Powerbook. It comes with all the features as the iMac, but it's portable, with a backlit keyboard, FireWire 800, 1 GHz, and comes with more RAM too, I think... It all depends on your budget, though. The iMac could be pretty sweet too. :)

I think all things considered the 17" powerbook gives the most bang for the buck. It comes with everything Apple offers. When you compare it to the iMac and the even the new powermacs it is a great balance between portability and power. The Powermacs have one more processor, more L3 cache and faster DVD burner. I am not convinced the dual processor makes a major difference in speed. I will probably buy the 17" powerbook. I just want to see one before I shell out the $3300.

Calliex

I've already sold my 14 inch IBOOK and have an order in for a 17 inch POWERBOOK...

I am worried though that it will be too much to carry around... I think that I would love a 15 inch powerbook... so whats the extra 2 inches in width?

Back