17" Laptop Display Off Center

SirenKimmie

Registered
I'm hoping someone can help me because I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this problem. I have a 17" G4 Titanium Powerbook and it had an accident. The hinges on the LCD needed replaced. I purchased a used 17" G4 Powerbook (not the same exact model) and i replaced the monitor. (I did check to see that the monitor worked before replacing). After I replaced the monitor, everything booted fine, however the display goes off of the monitor about a half inch on the right side and bottom. The lower resolution, the more the display cuts off. I know that my G4 should have a higher resolution than 1280 x 854 which would actually fix the problem but 1280 x 854 is the biggest resolution I have.

I'm assuming that all 17" titanium powerbook monitors are created equal, so I woudn't think it's the monitor. But at this point I'm willing to take any suggestions. Thanks so much!

It's possible you replaced your 17inch display with one from an older model. I know that the brand new 17inch powerbooks have a larger display. Hope this helps...

Hmmm well, the pb that i have is about three years old - it is a little better/more powerful machine than the one i purchased for parts but i didn't think there was a difference in the actual monitor??? I know that mac doesnt use "drivers" and old macs used "extensions" but isn't there something simple like a driver update that I could do? I dunno I'm grasping at straws here.

Try to more clearly identify both PowerBooks using www.apple-history.com ... You can also hook up each to an external monitor to get to Apple System Profiler. The processor speed alone might tell us what the machines exactly are.

However: I don't think a driver-update could do the trick. It seems clear from your results that the computer doesn't properly recognise the display, which means that either the cabling and/or the resolution between the models was different... (Plus, probably, the graphics card, too...)

Back