17" LCD Studio Display worth it?

corimay

PeanutButter
I got a 21" Viewsonic CRT monitor a few months ago, but now that the prices have dropped on the Apple Studio Display monitors, I'm really tempted to get one!!! So my question is, for those who have the 17" studio display .. how do you like it? I use Flash alot, so it's nice to have a lot of workspace (my 21" CRT allows very generous workspace). But on the apple site, it says "resolution of 1280 by 1024 pixels is equivalent to the workspace you get with a 21-inch CRT" ... is that true?!

And with some LCD monitors (the cheaper ones that is) the color gets somewhat distorted. Does that happen a lot w/ the Studio display?

I use a lab of 25 of them and have seen no color distortion at all unless you mean the fading to black on the edges if viewing at extreme angles (if you've used an LCD you know what I mean). No hue shifts though.

But when Apple compares a 17" LCD display to a 21" CRT they really are pushing it. I think your screen size on the 21" is much greater, (probably about 19") and the resolution is much higher with no blurring at non-native resolution. Plus, you have a faster pixel response time and the gamut is greater.
I guess you should ask yourself if losing all of this is worth the desk space. I think it usually is, but if I were paid to design graphics I definitely would go CRT for color accuracy and reliability (LCD colors shift slightly after they warm up.)

Originally posted by Snowball
but if I were paid to design graphics I definitely would go CRT for color accuracy and reliability (LCD colors shift slightly after they warm up.)

Which is why I'm chained to two CRTs on my desk - a 17" (CRT version of the Apple Studio Display), and a 19" (for PC)... plus a 13" CRT TV...

The LCDs are soooo tempting!

I am the perfect candidate for LCDs - if I didn't do Graphic & Print design! :(

I've an Apple Studio Display 17''.

I know that colours are quite different from a CRT display, but:

1. if u have space problem on your desktop,
2. if u want your eyes not to be tired after hours in front of the mac,
3. if u want a beautiful design product,

u have to buy it.

:)

PS: in CRT display your refresh could be high, but not as an LCD ... since I use LCD, when I'm in front of a CRT i notice the difference, even in front of a Sony Trinitron CRT at 100MHz.

I love the sharp and bright pics of lcds. When I move from my 12inch ibook to my Idek 19inch (CRT), the pic on my Idek appears really foggy, eventough its a great and sharp screen in it's class. And one more aspect is, that I can leave my lcd on all the time, even showing the same pic. I don't have to be afraid of huge electricity bills and I don't have to fear that the same pic damages my screen (or is that just a rumor for CRTs? :))

UM DAM... I just looked at the price... 699$ is a dam good deal... Most PC monitors that are 800$ don't even compare to the 17" LCD... go for it...

I wanna get a new display too and cant decide whether or not to get CRT or LCD.
LCD = clear picture, brighter colors, and more desk space.
CRT = more work space, cheaper

But i prolly wouldnt get an apple LCD because i would use the display for both mac and pc. Unless you can use an apple LCD on both mac and pc. I dont know...someone told me that an apple LCD works on macs only. does anyone know?:confused:

I think I've seen a KVM that does both Apple and VGA connections. I'll see if I can find it again...

Originally posted by Stridder44
But i prolly wouldnt get an apple LCD because i would use the display for both mac and pc. Unless you can use an apple LCD on both mac and pc. I dont know...someone told me that an apple LCD works on macs only. does anyone know?:confused: [/B]

Yea that's another reason why I'm hesitant to get the Apple monitor. I still use my PC occasionally, so I need it to work via a KVM switch.

Sogni: if you find where you saw that KVM switch, please let us know!

Thanks for everyone's responses, btw! :)

If you need resolution, the CRT cannot be beaten. If you need comfort, the LCD is far better.

Back