1st gen. Drobo keeps unmounting OSX 10.6

rgphoto

Registered
I have used my first generation USB Drobo for a few years with relative success with my G5. I've now upgraded to a Mac Pro with OSX 10.6.4.

I have 3 volumes on my desktop drobo 1 is for time machine, drobo 2 and 3 are backup files. I have 7.5 TBs total.

Ever since the computer upgrade the Drobo (all 3 volumes) unmount and the warning window opens saying a devise was disconnected improperly.

I called Drobo, they say run disc utility to repair any time that happens. So I run repair , 2 and 3 volume repair quickly, Volume 1 can take 16 or 20 hours.

I have went over this many times with Drobo, I ran a diagnostic test and sent to them, they say my drives are fine, they sent me a new power adaptor. I took Drobo home to my G5 and it ran fine for a week, I take it to work and attach it to the Mac Pro and poof, disconnects in less than an hour.

Drobo wants me to reformat the machine now (I do have everything backed up on G Techs).

Should I bother erasing and starting over with this or use it as an $800 paperweight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

rod

In cases like this I'd probably suspect the cable (FireWire or USB, whichever you're using) or the bus. If you're using the same cable at home and at the office then it's unlikely to be that.

In which case there may be something up with the port on the Mac Pro or the connection bus on the logic board you're plugging the Drobo into. The simplest way to test this is does the Mac Pro have problems with other (FireWire, USB, whatever connection you're using for the Drobo) devices plugged into the same port?

If so a quick trip to your nearest Apple Authorised Service Provider is in order.

Hi,

Have you had any success with this problem? I have also started to have the same problem. One of my Drobo, unmounts after a while...

Regards,

Mikael Svensson

I'm having the same problem. It gets even worse... I have been using super duper to back up to the drobo and when the drobo drops offline super duper continues the backup by filling the system boot drive. This has happened 4 times before I realized what was causing it.

I have 3 drobos but I'm seriously considering trashing them since they are causing me more problems than they are worth. I'm not sure this ever happened before I upgraded to snow leopard.

I have tried changing cables, using usb vs firewire and nothing seems to help.

Bob

I'm having the same issue. The drobo would vanish from the desktop every few hours. Disk Utility couldn't find it. The only way to get it to come back on would be to reboot. Tech support was freaking useless. I tried moving the Drobo from USB to firewire. The problem went from being daily to weekly. Unfortunately, this is on a miniserver, and I can't afford downtime. I'm considering getting rid of this thing, it appears to be more trouble than it's worth. What a waste of $800. I had the attachable droboshare, but it was so ssssssllllllooooooowwwwww, that it made the unit unusable, plus it was too difficult to spotlight index when it was on the share.

Please, someone, tell me there is a simple solution (aside from rebooting every day.)

I finally gave up on the Drobo. I still have one running on an Imac (Snow Leopard) with no problems. I removed the Drobo from my Mac Tower system and went to multiple 2tb hd's and Super Duper backups and a 2tb hd for a time machine backup. I've been running that way since Dec and have had no problems.

It's a shame...the concept of the Drobo is great...the reality sucks.

Bob Howen

Back