1st Vista Experience :UPDATE:

HeliAnimal

Registered
My boss bought an HP tablet laptop. He's not very computer savvy so he wanted me to get it up and running with his Airport Base Station he bought because of me.
1st off I felt naked inside Vista. I have no clue where anything is. I'm so used to OS X after just 1 year I felt out of place in another world if you will.
The HP itself is cheaply made garbage. It's cheap plastic yells fisher price, it's monitor wiggles back and forth and opens with a huge amount of friction, the stupid thing sounds like a dishwasher while it's running it's so loud. Windows take several minutes to boot up. The "aero" effects look horrible. The jumpy low frame rate effects are very ugly to watch. It has so many 3rd party trash programs installed it's barely usable. That Mac add with the "Cancel or Allow" conversation is NO exaggeration. Every time you click something the pesky OS asks "Is this what you want? Are you sure? Warning! Opening the program you just clicked on! Accessing Files! Blah Blah"
I couldn't get it to install drivers for his Epson printer. I had no problem with his wife's iMac in the same room. Also I can't get it to see the shared HD on the USB Airport Base Station port.
I suppose ignorance is bliss. I had no clue how utterly repulsive windows is to use before I switched to Mac. I don't even have boot camp on anymore as there is no reason I need it.
Anyone who has to use vista on a regular basis I feel sorry for. I wanted to through the blasted hunk of plastic out the window after 1 hour.

That's really too bad. I feel sorry for your boss, honestly. I've been working (fixing) a lot more PC's lately, and every time I use one of them I'm completely blown away by the sheer annoyance and cheap feel of XP and the hardware. My little MacBook just feels better than anything out of HP you could give me.

I do have to say, though, that on computers with ridiculous specs and all the crapware erased, Vista is a visual improvement over XP. Besides shiny window frames and a couple mediocre effects, however, it does nothing else that you'd need. In fact, it really doesn't do anything new at all.

The ignorance of PC users will wear out someday. Microsoft has been a-lagging for years, and they're getting worse. I hope that Leopard is really fantastic.

Vista is apparently very stable. it has systems that not only isolate a crashing application from the memory, but that also diagnose and treat it, keeping it running a lot longer than expected, meaning that it takes a reall anomoly to bring it down...

My experience with Vista was short. Although some argue the interface is much improved, I disagree. Sure, I did welcome the bright colors of the OS, I found moving files around a step backwards compared to XP. Missing from the side a window is the 'move, copy' commands that, to me, made sense on XP. Of course the annoying system warning are simply too much to enjoy a decent workflow. Something always found its way into the start-up sequence or system tray slowing the all ready horrible boot time to a few minutes. Now further insult is Dell has started to take orders for new machine with XP installed and not Vista.

Lt.: You _can_ turn off all those warnings, but you're basically opening your computer to malware again. For PCs, I'd stay with XP as long as it makes sense. Vista, as far as I can tell, does _not_ bring you any real life improvements right now (other than some added security, but if you keep up-to-date with software updates and antivirus software etc., XP's okay as well), so it's simply an expensive new toy. If a new computer _comes_ with Vista, you might want to live with it, but until the end of 2007, you should still be able to buy computers with XP.

Good advice Fryke,
XP is tested and true. As far as I know their really isn't any anti-virsus software for Vista yet, or I should say one that is worthy. Windows 1 care has gotten terrible reviews, while other apps, to my knowledge, are not yet Vista ready or only offer minimal protection.

Sophos Antivirus is pretty good (we use at at the school district I work for) and it supports Vista. That is, if you're going to run Vista.

I'm happy running Tiger and Ubuntu Feisty as my main operating systems...no need for Windows. ;)

Back