2.0 for Old iPods, petition

Originally posted by Randman
what are you really missing by not having 2.0 on your iPod? I ask this seriously, because with the most recent update to the firmware for the old iPods, you got AAC playback, which is the only functional improvement to the 2.0 firmware outside of the Notes feature (as far as I have heard anyway).

You did get an update, unless you didn't go to 1.3. You've purchased three iPods and Apple owes you nothing but continued support. You've bought three great mp3 players that I'm sure you were quite happy with until a newer model came along and the whining began.

Enjoy your three iPods or sell them and get a new one. You get three of the best mp3s out there and this is how you show thanks?

Your absolutely right. I purchased three iPods from Apple, and they owe me nothing more than continued support.

So, let me explain to you, in a situation you may better understand.

Let's say you bought your clamshell, which is running OS 9. Great OS! Apple built. Expect nothing but the best from Apple.
But, along comes the new iBooks. They have this beautiful OS called OS X. You say, "Ohh, I'd love that!"
Apple makes the OS available as an upgrade package for all the previous owners.

You install the software, reboot your computer, saying "goodbye" to the happy mac that has smiled at you everyday, and load up OSX.
Beautiful. But, then you notice. There's no Aqua!
In fact, the only thing that makes this an update is the fact that it can run all the latest OS X software. Other than that, its basically OS 9, with X software support.

Apple says, the only way your going to get Aqua is if you purchase a new Mac. You can still use software, but, no Aqua!

You still running a great machine. OS X is a robust OS! Doesn't crash. Great apps.
But, it's still missing what all the new machines have.

For the first time, I used the "on the go" playlist creation. After that, I was hooked. There are times, when you find a playlist you have.. well, tired. But, your not at your computer to update it. On the go is a great feature.

Anyways, I purchased three iPods from Apple. I would purchase another iPod tomorrow, if I had the money. Your "this is how I show thanks" isn't even needed. I'm very thankful for what Apple has done, and will continue to do over the years.

Your "this is how I show thanks" isn't even needed
And yours was?

In fact, the only thing that makes this an update is the fact that it can run all the latest OS X software. Other than that, its basically OS 9, with X software support.
I would have been quite happy with OS 9.9 that allowed OS X features. If I wanted Aqua, I'd go and look for some mods or apps to simulate Aqua. If that wasn't enough, I'd sell my dandy machine and get one that did have Aqua from out of the Apple bakery.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to flame you and I would love if more updates came along and offered features such as on the go playlists. But I also realize that Apple is a business and unless some mod/app comes along that allows me to simulate what 2.0 does, then Apple is going to try and sell new iPods first, update older generations later.
And I've never heard that there won't be, at some time, an update for older iPods that won't offer some of the new features such as on-the-go playlists, notes and solitaire. Maybe there has been. All I can finally say is I can understand the frustration (I'd love to have the latest, greatest features as well), but whining and complaining about this making a petition isn't going to do anything but reinforce one's negative feelings. One of these days, those that bought the iPods that came out will be ranting and raving about the latest feature and how they're being screwed by The Man.

That's an excellent comparison, j79. I think Apple is doing the wrong thing by not supporting 2.0 on the old iPods. All their old computers can run their new OS, why can't their (barely) old iPods run the latest firmware? It shouldn't be hard to do, it just needs to be done.

Originally posted by j79
You still running a great machine. OS X is a robust OS! Doesn't crash. Great apps.

Sorry to slightly change the subject but OSX will Crash, It may not happen regularly but it will crash. I use many kinds of new and old mac's running X at work, and they all have crashed at some point.

Back to the thread. I also have 3 ipod's and would love to upgrade them to firmware 2.0, but I can't and there is nothing I can do about it, so I will just have to wait until I can afford to buy a new one.

That's Life!!

I think AAC and On-The-Go playlists were basically the most requested features... and now that we have our AAC on our old iPods, we want our On The Go, too!

I am honestly a little disappointed that I don't get the On The Go playlist feature... it would have been real nice... I'm one of those people who gets in the mood for music, and likes to cue it ahead of time... And as much as I would love Apple to upgrade the firmware to do this... I'm not going whine too much. I didn't even expect much in the way of updates.

But... eh, oh well.... Wouldn't it be lovely?...

Originally posted by j79
Your absolutely right. I purchased three iPods from Apple, and they owe me nothing more than continued support.

So, let me explain to you, in a situation you may better understand.

Let's say you bought your clamshell, which is running OS 9. Great OS! Apple built. Expect nothing but the best from Apple.
But, along comes the new iBooks. They have this beautiful OS called OS X. You say, "Ohh, I'd love that!"
Apple makes the OS available as an upgrade package for all the previous owners.

You install the software, reboot your computer, saying "goodbye" to the happy mac that has smiled at you everyday, and load up OSX.
Beautiful. But, then you notice. There's no Aqua!

Apple says, the only way your going to get Aqua is if you purchase a new Mac. You can still use software, but, no Aqua!

But, it's still missing what all the new machines have.

so you're basically saying that, if apple didn't give you AAC support on the older ipods, then no one would be complaining? apple didn't even have to give you AAC support, but now that they did, you complain that they didn't give you the full package? they have to have more incentive for you to buy a new ipod... Apple isn't about giving away free stuff, it's a company with one ultimate goal in mind: money. they gave the AAC support so that you would buy songs from the iTunes music store... no other reason.

Originally posted by MikeXpop
So lets see. Things you can do on the new iPod you can't do with the old one.

[...]

2. Keep notes with you (you actually can http://kainjow.com)

[...]

Haha you da man! Pod2Go is the way to go for older iPods (and newer ones too actually). But the new Notes feature on the 2.0 iPods is nice. I wish I could have that without having to pay $300 or more.

Back