2.4 gHz telephones and airport cards

gunnerj

Registered
whenever i am using my cordless 2.4 gHz telephone and my airport card ( with the base station two floors down ), my computer loses connection to the base. i know that the airport card is based on the 2.4 gHz technology and assume this is causing the problem, but i am not sure why. does anyone know what i can do so i can use my telephone and airport card at the same time?

The Airport help suggests you keep the base station away from "2.4 Ghz cordless telephones and microwave ovens" so I guess they are on the same band. Try changing the channel, first on Airport, then perhaps on the phone.
Details are in the Airport help under "Why would I change the channel of an Airport network?"

And that's reason #1 why Mac-users should buy 900Mhz phones, instead.

Also, here's an interesting thing... you know those x10 wireless cameras that you see being advertised on the web? My dad actually got one, and as long as the path from the camera to its base and the path from a computer to the Airport don't cross, our signals are just fine... odd.

What brand phone do you have? I dont have an apple base station but I do have a linksys cable/dsl wireless router with 4 port switch. I also own a siemens 2.4 ghz phone set. 1 base station and 2 remote handsets. I have not had a problem using the wireless and my phone but I did notice that when my roommates phone rang (2.4 ghz panasonic) my wireless connection would cut out. The only time I have noticed having problems with the wireless any other time was when I was using my pc laptop and was talking on the siemens phone right next to the wireless card in the pc laptop.

Back