2 computers — 1 Port

bigbadbill

Flaccid Member
I have a DSL connection at work shared by about 5 computers through a router with a firewall. I have successfully opened port 548 to allow my boss to connect via AppleTalk to his office computer from home. Now I'd like to open another port to enable me to connect to my office computer from home. If 548 routes to his computer how can I get a second port to route to mine?

It's possible if you have two things:

1) A client that allows you to specify a port (i.e. you can connect with AppleTalk at "24.1.1.1:590"). Offhand I don't know if this is possible
2) You have a router that supports port translation, i.e. it will redirect port 590 to port 548 on machine 2.

Otherwise, there may be add-on software to act as a gateway that could help. None that I know of off the top of my head at the moment, though...

Also, changing your usage habit a bit might work just as well and skirt the problem. Is it possible to use Appletalk to talk to your boss' machine, but for you to use NFS or SMB/CIFS (Windows networking) or another method when talking to yours? This might only require some usage changes and not lose any functionality.

I wouldn't use NFS there, it's 7 levels of not secure to a dynamic external IP. yucky. I agree with Ripcord on every other item though. I'd also recommend enabling ssh on your machine, portmapping that appropriately, and then using sftp over the ssh port which is what Mac OS X expects. More secure than AFP, though I can't come up with anything other than AFP that will transfer resource forks. Is that an issue for you?

Back