2 DSL, 1 G4 Mac

jeffwbent

Registered
--> I have two DSL modems with static WAN IP's
--> Two Linksys DSL Routers with switched ports
--> all linked together on my home network with my G4 Tower running OS 10.1.3.

I am hosting web pages and email on my G4. I want to split the incoming requests between the two DSL modems. However, port forwarding will only work with one router -- the one configured in my System Preferences > Network panel.

If I change the router setting in OS X to the other router, then port forwarding will work on it -- only.

How can I configure OS X to recognize both gateways (routers) and receive forwarded requests from both?

G4 -- 192.168.1.5
Router 1 -- 192.168.1.2
Router 2 -- 192.168.1.3

The G4 can ping both routers fine.

One of the things I appreciate about Windows is the ability to configure multiple gateways, NICs, etc. I was hoping OS X had some way I could add a second gateway, which might allow it to take port forwarding from two different routers on the same network.

jeffwbent,

I am a little confused as to how your network is setup. I am having a different problem but it has to do with the same issue of multihoming and ipfw etc.

First, I am very curious how you configured ipfw in the Network preferences.

Second, for the most part MacOS 10 will see all three IPs but only one is going to be primary, the one at the top of your "Active" port list in Network settings. I'm also curious exactly how you want to route the packets. Are you wanting to split all incoming port 80 requests to one IP and use the other IP to handle smtp and pop/imap requests? If not were you looking to somehow load balance between the two IPs?

--------------------------------------------

On another note, im wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction so I can solve my issue:

In my configuration I have one Cable modem (static IP) incoming to a 10mbit ethernet pci adapter (eth2) and the builtin gigabit ethernet adapter is going out ot my local switched lan (eth0). I have NAT setup so that incoming requests from eth2 will route to the eth0.

My problem is that even though MacOS 10 can have multiple adapters and even multiple IPs for the same adapter, for some reason it chooses the priority of which adapter is the primary by the order it is placed in the Network system preferences which is a bummer because the only way to get my setup to work is to make the eth2 external IP primary which exposes my G4s open ports to the net, something I am trying to avoid. If I use eth0, access will work for about 10 seconds and then my internet access dies.

I am trying to get it so that neither IP is really primary but rather would like to have more control over which ports broadcast to which IP.

example:

port 80 would only be open to the external IP
port #(AFP) is only open to the internal IP only
port x could be used for both ips

Maybe this is more of a NAT issue than a strict ipfw but I am stuck and hate my G4 being exposed. I would setup a firewall but those have been a pain to figure out. My other idea is to just give up and buy an internet gateway device.

I know it is not the exact same problem but I hope this has helped in some way. If you wish, you can email me at spammon@mac.com

Thanks,

Jorge

terran74,

Thanks for your reply. I have two DSL connections in my home. Both are connected to their own Linksys router (four switched ports), and one router is connected to the other via the uplink port.

I have configured my DNS to resolve "smtp" and "mail" subdomains to one DSL IP, and the rest goes to the other. I don't know if you would call that load balancing, but there it is.:)

Anyway, my machine will only answer requests from the router configured in my network preferences "built-in ethernet" settings.

I added an extra "Active Network Port", selected "built-in ethernet" and specified the other router, and it still won't receive port forwarding from the second router.

I would like it to receive port forwarding from both routers (sorry to beat a dead horse).

I'm intrigued by your reference to IPFW. I don't know much about that, but hope there is a solution there so both routers can forward to my machine.

I am using Little Dutch Moose, which seems to be doing a great job using IPFW to block attacks via port 80.

Back