2 Letter Searches on this site

Yeeeeeeha

Registered
I love this site. I've had more great info than anywhere else. But-

I'd like to be able to search for 2 letter things? Like CD or Ti or any other number of things that people abreviate with 2 letters. Is this possible? Is it redundant? Is the search engine smart enough to know Ti means Titanium?

Pretty Please!?

-Y

Search for Ti, or Powerbook Ti, or CD Eject Failure, or CD and Eject and Failure.

this is what you get.

------
The search term you specified (ti) is under the minimum word length (3) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.

If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific.
------

These are pretty valid and specific terms to search for. It doesn't seem unreasonable. I can search *Ti just fine. I'm just wondering why.

-Y

hmmm, you're right. maybe site discussion forum would be a better place to take this up with admin. but my guess is that there are so many instances when any 2 letters might appear together that a search like this would yeild unmanagable results. just think of all the times people type 'it' as 'ti' :)

-That 2 letter searches would bring too many results and bog the servers. Just food for thought.

Guess I missed the general discussion for forums forum.. :)

-Y

figuring out which forum to post in around here requires an advanced specialized degree or exceptional psychic ability or both:rolleyes:

There could be a filter for common two-letter words. I can think of a few UNIX CLI words...

- vi (UNIX standard editor)
- cc (compiler)
- ln (soft and hard links)
... and the list goes on infinitely

a rule could be added that it is only searched as a whole word and only if it's on the allowed-list
\ vi\
\ cc\

and the number of maximum hits limited to, say, 100 hits

just some ideas...

dani++

Back