2 Problems: Random Performance Drops, & Boot Temperature

Moptop

Registered
Ok:

My computer- iMac G5, 1st version. Mac 10.4.11

1: Randomly, sometimes it will have a MASSIVE drop in performance, when I am doing a cpu intensive task. It will spin the fans all the way down, and act REALLY slow until I have to force quit everything, or reboot.

2: Also it won't reboot if I shut down, immediately. I think its related to temperature, because A) Must wait longer on hot days. B) 20-30 minute wait.

Any tips?

I have found a few temperature monitors at softpedia.com for the G5.
You could try some of those programs if you believe it has a heat issue. Please post any results you may have.

I have one already, the G5 is well known for running hot.

What I want to know is why it won't boot when its too hot.

Oh, and the problems are un-related.

You stated that you have a "massive" drop in performance untill you have to force quit everything or reboot. And then, after you reboot, it won't start right away, and you believe it's related to temperature. And yet, you state that the G5 is known for heat related issues, but you say that it's unrelated. ? ? ? I'm sorry, but am I missing something here?

You stated that you have a "massive" drop in performance untill you have to force quit everything or reboot. And then, after you reboot, it won't start right away, and you believe it's related to temperature. And yet, you state that the G5 is known for heat related issues, but you say that it's unrelated. ? ? ? I'm sorry, but am I missing something here?

No, no, the not-booting-when-heated always happens. Even if I shut it down normally. It didn't happen when the computer was new, though.

Sorry if I explained it poorly.

What software exactly were you running and cause the "massive" drop in performance?

Its usually java, but the last time was the Classic Environment and Minivmac (Mac os1 - 7 Emulator) when turning energy saver from "Reduced" performance back to "Automatic".

Back