2 simple questions

3mors

HampCake Studios
1. is there any way to disable the alert windows that appears when u change the extension of a file or a folder? i'm used to name some of my folder with a dot inside like "tiger 10.4" and when i change the second part of the name (the "4" in this case) the system asks me if i want to use the new extension or the old one.

2. is there any way to make the contextual menu appear using the my keyboard, like the "menu" key on a windows machine that simulates right click?

thanks for any suggestion

The Ghost said:
2. ctrl-click is as close as you can come to right click on Windows.
i know, anyway i've already a MX700 logitech mouse with tons of buttons ;)

i mean a completely keyboard shortcut, like "CMD+down arrow" to open a file or "CMD+backspace" to delete it.
for example: i want to make an alias or change the color label for a file without using my mouse, how to do it?

3mors said:
for example: i want to make an alias or change the color label for a file without using my mouse, how to do it?

Press control-F1 to turn on full keyboard access. You only have to do this once (it's a toggle).

Press control-F2 to highlight the menu bar. Press "f" to jump to the file menu (or use arrow keys). Press return or hit the down arrow to open the menu. Start typing the name of the menu item or use the down arrows until you get to it, then press return.

Or press command-L to make an alias... you can see shortcuts to the right of the menu item. Oooh color labels are a bug though, you can't navigate to them using this method!!

If you don't like the shortcut keys (control-Fkey is awkward), you can change it in the Keyboard Shortcuts tab of the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane.

ok thanks, pcheese
i thought there was a shortcut that make the contextual menu appear near the file icon, like the right button.

3mors said:
ok thanks, pcheese
i thought there was a shortcut that make the contextual menu appear near the file icon, like the right button.

Well, if you really wanted to...

Universal Access preference pane, Mouse tab, turn Mouse keys on. Hold down control while you press number 5 on the keypad to simulate a control-click, but it'll be where the mouse pointer is, not the selected item. Or you could use mouse keys to move the mouse (and keep your hands on the keyboard). But that's probably not what you're looking for ;)

Sorry, there really is no equivalent on the Mac, possibly because every option in a contextual menu is supposed to exist in a "normal" menu somewhere?

Back