(2) Things the New 17" PB is missing..

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
On the right side, it needs a slide out "mouse pad area" for use with a optical mouse (using bluetooth of course) or it could be a tray to put a sandwich while working AND...

Last but not least, a pop-out cup holder on the left side. Now, that would be one fine computer.

lol, but how strong do you think the cup holder could be, if the computer is one inch thick (thinner on the CPU part?) Seems like it would be pretty flimsy to me. I've heard stories of people having their tray-load CD drives snapping off because they thought the tray was a cup-holder. :p

Perhaps you could have it so that it could have little rubber feet that mounted on a flat surface, but it would be kind of pointless if the computer was on your lap.

it could have a spring loaded thing a la cup holders in cars. it could pop out underneath it to hold the drink there nice and firm.
of course it would be made of that Anodized Aircraft Whatever.

not sure i buy the slide out tray for mice and sndwiches. i'd love to see a slide out tablet though with a teeny little pen to work with inkwell. the cup holder is a nice idea - just don't expect it to last the whole life of the computer. those in cars never do. ;)

but perhaps some of that wasted space on the keyboard side that is on both sides of the mouse could be used for some nice lcd displays - like a clock, calculator, address book, recipe book, etc.. things you could use without having to fire the whole computer up.

and maybe a view light mounted in the bottom so that when you drop the itty bitty pen, you can find it. :D

I liked the old Powerbooks which had trackballs, much more intuitive. Good luck getting one of those in a 1" case though.

it could be a teeny trackball to match the teeny pen.

these would be especially nice on the teeny powerbook :D

hmm... stop saying 'teeny' :)

But we could start to call the tiny PowerBook TinyBook of course... :)

What's _really_ missing on the 17" PowerBook is a full keyboard. Why haven't they added a number block with all the size available?

Originally posted by fryke

What's _really_ missing on the 17" PowerBook is a full keyboard. Why haven't they added a number block with all the size available?

That's exactly what I came in this thread to say. I'm not an engineer or design expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I just don't see why they keyboard is still not a full one with this much space availabe. Is it about cost and the fiber optics or what? There is a TON of wasted space and I for one think it's looks pretty tacky with that much open room.

That being said, I'd still kill for one though...I mean comon...it's a 17 inch widescreen.

Trackball, two-button mouse... Those are just awful suggestions, sorry...

I have a three-button mouse for my mac and it's what I need. Apple is 100% right to provide a simple, single mouse-button. If one needs a more sophisticated 5.5 3D button mouse gizmo, he/she can just go get it and it should just work. Don;t impose your particular needs on 100% of the users.

This debate on 1 vs. 2 vs 3, vs 3D vs whatever is just ridiculous.

A slide out tablet? There is enough space on that monster to put a tablet on instead of the touchpad! There is room for almost two full-featured keyboards ...

Fryke wrote:
Why haven't they added a number block with all the size available?

To keep them homogeneous with the others. Two reasons: 1) users using multiple PowerBooks or upgraders from the old ones don't get confused between the fn-key models and the full models, because the keyboards are exactly the same.
2) they can use the same machines to produce them, which is obviously cheaper.

hey, i'd like also the idea to have different sized keyboards! i like small ones, i have teeny fingers .. but there are ppl with sausage fingers, they probbly want bigger keys than me. so a keyboard that you could change with an other (that is always on the kb area)

it needs a moving red light like KIT from Knight Rider! That'd make people wonder when sitting on the aeroplane.;)

Originally posted by fryke

oh, actually i like the one i heard on another site - the Baby Book :D

but what to call the 17" - the Biggie Book? simply BigBook? :confused:

Back