20" G5 iMAC - INSTALLING PROGRAMS

lightflyer

Registered
Hi,

I have just bought a 20" G5 iMac with 1.5 GB RAM and OSX 10.4.2 (I can't get online yet to update - so its as out of the box). I have tried to load iLife '06 (provided in box), iWork 06 (bought separately but in the same week) and Mac OS 9.2 (disk 2 of OS disks provided). Apart from trying to install these programs, all I have done is to go through the registration process.

In each attempt to install these softwares, install proceeds to point where dialogue box says to choose target for install but the box either remains empty or the target HD is greyed out. I cannot seem to get the process beyond this. Often there is a spinning spoke wheel that just goes on and on.

I am currently in China (I bought in the US last week) and going along to the local Genius bar does not work. Glad your advice.

Thanks

Alick

Does the account you're using hav administrative privileges? If not, then you won't be able to install anything without administrative access.

If you bought this machine and don't have any other files in it yet, I recommend reinstalling everything from scratch. Sometimes it's best to do this to get the most optimal setup you can. If you do have files in there, just back them up and reformat and reinstall. Just be sure that when you create the initial account that it has the ability to administer the Mac.

Good luck.

Nixgeek,

Thanks for that. On initial setup I thought I had set myself up as the admin. My attempts at loading software do not prompt the expected admin sign on box. Maybe you are correct. So, since the iMac is still virgin, I will do as you suggest and reload everything and start again. Many thanks.

Alick

Back