20" iMac has lost red color

Pakawala

Registered
I live in a remote part of Thailand. Little if any help available. Temperature is high and humid. No A/C in room. Have 20" iMac G4 running 10.4.6, 1.5 gig DDR SDRAM. While on line just now all the color RED has gone from my display! Screen only shows GREENS, BLUE & YELLOW. It happened once before for about 3 minutes then came back - this time no such luck. I suspect it may be the heat, only have overhead fan in the room but have just added a 20" fan blowing directly on my iLamp.

Should I take it apart and clean the air vents at the bottom? I'm open to any suggestion as this is my ONLY source of communications with 'home'.

if it's still under warranty, contact Apple. Some of the iMac G5 Macs in the past have had issues with video. They might be able to repair it under warranty.

Low to mid-90s F. I put it to sleep for about an hour with the fans blowing on it and when I turned it back on it was normal again... wheew! Now I'm pretty sure it's the temperature. Will keep the fan on it while in use during the 'hot' season.

NixGeek, I got the 'extended' warranty when I bought the iMac in Nov '03, so I guess it's still covered. BTW, this is the G4 model, not G5.

Pakawala said:
NixGeek, I got the 'extended' warranty when I bought the iMac in Nov '03, so I guess it's still covered. BTW, this is the G4 model, not G5.

My mistake.....skipped over the G4 part when I was skimming it. :eek:

it might not be good having a fan blowing on it, ie blowing hot air on it, instead, have it quite close to the mac, blowing away (sucking air away from the mac)

Sawadee Kap Pakawala!

If you contact Apple Thailand, they will probably tell you to go to MacCenter, the AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) in Bangkok.

I am not a fan of MacCenter - I think they suck (if you'll excuse my French), as does Apple Thailand. Very unhelpful & sometimes verging on being rude.

If you do have any issues with them, contact Apple Singapore - they are very helpful, very professional, and Thailand has to report to them; so if you complain to them, they'll usually kick Apple Thailand into being more helpful...

Sorry, doesn't really answer your question, but I've had so many frustrating experiences with both Apple Thailand and MacCenter that I just can't resist the urge to vent my anger whenever possible... makes me feel a little better... (And the Singapore hint has in fact helped a lot of friends of mine here in Bangkok.)

patrice
http://www.patriceschneider.com/apple-osx/blog/

Back