2002 QuickSilver MoBo Posted to eBay (DDR, FireWire 2!)

dricci

Registered
From MacRumors:
An eBay item appeared on Thursday claiming to be a Macintosh G4 Quicksilver 2002 Server Logic board. This auction has since been pulled at the request of Apple.

The auction included a picture of the motherboard which appeared to have 4 DDR RAM slots as well as a mysterious port - which is presumed to be 1394b (Firewire2).

Xlr8yourmac.com's webmaster, Mike Breeden, had word of the unit, but could provide no details expect hint that it is a sign of things to come.

This Appleinsider forum post provides the seller's response to where the motherboard came from:

This board was sent to a friend of mine and was issued as a test board. I have been notified by Apple and eBay that this board was never intended for sale and the auction was cancelled at Apple's request. I apologize to all that this turned out to be a problem.

To all that were interested, this board runs GREAT. The DDR memory really improves the performance. I hope I am able to offer similar boards in the near future.

The pic I saw looked real, it was red, the color of Apple's prototype motherboards.

* 800 MHz or 933 MHz PowerPC G4 processor; or dual 1 GHz PowerPC G4 processors
* Four (4) 64-bit PCI Slots
* Four (4) DDR RAM slots (yes, DDR!)
* Velocity Engine vector processing unit
* Full 128-bit internal memory data paths
* Powerful floating-point unit supporting single-cycle, double-precision calculations
* Data stream prefetching operations supporting four simultaneous 32-bit data streams
* 256K on-chip L2 cache running at processor speed
* 2 MB DDR SDRAM L3 cache per processor, with up to 4 GB per second throughput (933 MHz and dual 1 GHz systems)
* 133 MHz system bus supporting over 1 GBps data throughput

Attached picture...

Is it just me or does that picture look better without it being flipped? I saw this picture before going in the other direction and it looked correct to me. :p

Anyway it looks real to me and I'm in no way suprised - it's about danged time! :D

I think people on the Intel side are going to wet their pants when they realize whatever advantage they *THOUGHT* they had against Macs just disapeared! ;)

Where does the CPU go on that board? Or is it actually on there without a heatsink at top-left, between the mobo battery and those two fattish cable connectors (or whatever they are)? I guess that would be back to the B/W G3 layout. If it's the latter, it's interesting that it doesn't look like it is on a daughtercard or anything, just soldered right onto the board.

Originally posted by scruffy
Where does the CPU go on that board? Or is it actually on there without a heatsink at top-left, between the mobo battery and those two fattish cable connectors (or whatever they are)?

The CPU is not on there - it goes on the long white connector just left of the RAM slots just above all the USB/Firewire connectors.

Back