22 gigs of music_20 gig ipod!!!

pd_andrews

Registered
I have too much music to fit on my ipod, is there anything I can do?

If it came to it, would itunes put on what it can....or could I select what I want on there?

i have a 40gb ipod and 75 gb of music. i tell the ipod to fill up from a selection of playlists, one of which being a smart playlist with the properties:

Playlist is not [all other playlists i have on my ipod]
Limit to: 33 GB selected by album (very important, it means you only really get full albums, not most of an album like itunes does on it's own)
Match only Checked Songs
Live Updating

cool.....but how do you tell it which playlists? and whats this smart playlist? also what did the last bit mean...'match only checked songs live updating'.....is this when you tick the box to the left of the tune? huh!!!???

if I have a selection on my ipod will it not get confused when I plug it in?......and would I have to always keep selecting songs for it when I do plug it in?

couldn't I just have a playlist which I always select for the ipod......or would this then not allow me to search [on my ipod] by artist/album etc??

ah right, ok.

smart playlists are the purple ones, normal playlists are the blue ones in the left hand side of iTunes. choose file > new smart playlist. it brings up a dialogue box with a list of options. these are perameters for this smart folder. you can make smart playlists for pretty much any use, and is especially useful for this. put the settings that i have shown you into a new smart playlist. now, with the ipod attatched, click on the ipod button in the bottom right corner of itunes (or the ipod tab in the itunes preferences). choose the second option for you would like iTunes to fill the ipod, which is Automatically update selected playlists: followed by the list of all your plalists in iTunes.

Back