25th Anniversary Mac

Brewster

Registered
I was just visting http://www.apple-history.com and was looking at the 20th Anniversary Mac when I realized it was released in 1997, making 2002 the 25th Anniversary. Does anyone think there is a possibiliy of a new 25th Anniversary Mac coming out, perhaps at MWNY?

Just looking at the Mac Classics, the name says it.

That design still looks great today.

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
I doubt it. since the 20th ann did not sell. It was WAY too expensive. but it did look great.

Of course they didn't sell. There were only made 20000 of them :rolleyes: ;)

Originally posted by BrianMalcolm
and there was one in jerry seinfeld's apt...

He kicks ass. We have the same name. His show was funny as hell, He is a huge MacAddict, and he has something like 40 Porsches!!! Seinfeld rules.

While Apple is sometimes know for being "ahead of its time" with some of their products...I never realized how far ahead. The 20th Anniversary Mac was released in 1997? Well, the Mac development did not even begin until 1979!

Maybe they meant dog years or some such thing.

Oops.

;)

The 20th is still a stunning machine. I have to say, Apple hasn't done a bad design yet. Really. They have always been extremely high-quality and way, way, WAY ahead of their time. The 20th Anniversary Mac still has the record, for having the best built-in audio system ever for a personal computer :) Nothing has beaten that Bose subwoofer and surround sound combo yet :)

Originally posted by ccuilla
While Apple is sometimes know for being "ahead of its time" with some of their products...I never realized how far ahead. The 20th Anniversary Mac was released in 1997? Well, the Mac development did not even begin until 1979!

Maybe they meant dog years or some such thing.

Oops.

;)

The 20th anniversary Mac was to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Apple Computer, not the Macintosh!

i guess the oops is on me now...doh!

:eek:

at least now i can sleep better knowing that Apple really does know how to do basic arithmetic.

Yes, and they created the 20th to show the world what the future would be like--it happened to be a Mac, but it really was just a forward-looking statement about Apple's future (as a company), not just the future of the Macintosh, and the general trend of the industry-- thinness, integrated (mindblowing) audio circuitry, vertical-ness, and a thin profile. To this day, they've been right on. :) Only now are these design concepts coming up. I'd suggest you purchase the book AppleDesign and read about the prototype 20th's... they had an LCD iMac-like thing (with a moving screen) in 1996!

Originally posted by Bluefusion
I'd suggest you purchase the book AppleDesign and read about the prototype 20th's... they had an LCD iMac-like thing (with a moving screen) in 1996!

I actually have the book (sitting next to me at my desk here as a matter of fact). Been a while since I've perused it. But, yes, many ideas in there quite interesting. In fact some striking similarities to the NeXT hardware as well.

I have to say, Apple hasn't done a bad design yet. Really. They have always been extremely high-quality and way, way, WAY ahead of their time.

4400.gif
g3aio.gif

? ... ! 'nuff said.

I actually really liked the all-in-one G3... I thought it was actually pretty well designed. The 7200, 7500, and 7600 enclosures weren't that much to look at, but they were pretty innovative in that they were relatively easy to open to expand (with the flip up power supply and such).

Personally, the only PowerMac enclosure I disliked was the 64xx line... They just looked weird.

I'd suggest you purchase the book AppleDesign and read about the prototype 20th's... they had an LCD iMac-like thing (with a moving screen) in 1996!

So that's where I saw it! I swear, long before the new iMac came out I found a pic of, well, the new iMac except that it was black and gold somewhere on the net. The site had a bunch of TAM prototypes. Couldn't find it again though.

I can finally sleep again ;)

LOL glad to help you on that little disturbing dilemna-- I think many people have the same problem as you: they KNOW they have seen that thing ("Tizio") before but no one remembers where :)

Seriously though, that book has a TON of stuff like that that isn't shown anywhere else at all :)

Back