2gigs of RAM will fix all my problems right?

billcd

Registered
I am new to Photoshop so I really don't notice it being slow with Rossetta while doing any of the light stuff that I do. However, I generally have Photoshop, Dreamweaver, 2 or 3 copies of Firefox open and then a couple of terminal windows open; all at the same time when doing web stuff.

Ok, I think my problem is obviouse but I am going to go ahead and ask since I am VERY new to Apple.

When I am in Dreamweaver, everything is working fine, then I alt-tab into Photoshop, blllblblobbllkj, its 30-60 untill I can use Photoshop. :( Photoshop runs fine, but then when I alt-tab back over to Dreamweaver, same thing, 30-60 seconds of waiting.

It seems like the system is caching the programs on the hard-drive since I only have 512MB of RAM. Then it is having to pull it back off the hard-drive for me to use it.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't try to do half that stuff with 500MB ram. First thing I did was up the memory after I bought this machine.

Look at the Page ins/outs in Activity Monitor.

Not only that, it will bring world peace. Doves will fly free. World leaders will offer each other olive branches. The rich will give to the poor, the happy will smile with the sad, and Jesus and Pals will have a nice organic meal of fish and fine wine.

Seriously, Yes. RAM will greatly improve your application-switching time. Dunno if it will solve ALL your problems, but the vast majority of them, probably.

adambyte said:
Not only that, it will bring world peace. Doves will fly free. World leaders will offer each other olive branches. The rich will give to the poor, the happy will smile with the sad, and Jesus and Pals will have a nice organic meal of fish and fine wine.

Seriously, Yes. RAM will greatly improve your application-switching time. Dunno if it will solve ALL your problems, but the vast majority of them, probably.

Why did all the clouds just seperate down here in Florida? Its sudenly a bright sunshiny day and everybody is feeling happy. Why is everybody in McDonald's singing?

Ok, this is wierd..........

Ok, I am at Newegg now - RAM overnighted! Got to get my work done or I am going to stop singing!

:) ... And for a real answer as well: 512 MB RAM, in Tiger, is not enough to work in Photoshop and Dreamweaver at the same time. Since both apps are Rosetta-emulated, they both need more memory in addition! So on a PPC, you'd want 768 or 1024 MB of RAM, on an intel Mac, you'll want 1.5 or 2 GB for just this kinda work. Of course, once those apps are universal, the additional RAM will still be appreciated.

From what I've read, a Rosetta translated program uses 2 times the memory as the same program running on the PPC Macs.

Ya a little dispointed about the emulation part but it will be worth it once the univeral Adobe apps are released.

Thanks for all the help I ordered 2 gigs; that should do it :)

512MB is barely enough for Tiger period. Light usage of PS and Office, e-mail, etc. was giving me huge pageout counts on the PB when I was stuck with 512MB of RAM. Sometimes upwards of 400,000 in less than a weeks time. Upgraded to 2GB and everything was better (i.e. Haven't had a pageout since -- 3 months and counting).

just wanted to update here. got my 2gigs of ram. dang this is awsome. it actually runs like a computer.
any how. thanks for the help everybody!

I am getting an iMac soon and I was debating if I was going to upgrade the RAM or not, I was thinking of starting off with 1gb of RAM and then when I had the extra money later getting the 2nd GB ... but I migjt just do all 2gbs at first .. the graphics card though, will that upgrade have anything to do with photoshop cs2, or dreamweaver? On apples website for the 20" iMac u can upgrade the graphics card. Should i? I don't do a lot of gaming, but if I had a computer that could handel it (i've lawyas had kinda meh PC systems for gaming) i might want to play the Sims of City of Heros or some mmop games.

It's really more about gaming. Rather get the RAM up from the beginning.

I believe GIMP is available in Universal Binary, that would solve the Photoshop issue but you need gobs or RAM to run Photoshop period.I limp by with 1 Gig and only open 1-2 apps at a time.

Back