2nd Video card Slot

MrLatte23

Registered
I bought a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT to supplement my pre-installed NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT video card. One card will run two Samsung LCD's and the other card a third similar monitor. Would I see any improved performance in programs such as Motion if I swap card slots, putting the 8800 in the main spot (running 2 monitors)? Or does the computer utilize both cards for improved realtime rendering regardless of what slot their in.

Thanks.

MacPro 2 X 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon - OS X.5.5 - 9 GB RAM

Hi MrLatte, I think your mac pro is the first rev correct? If this is the case, you should put the 8800gt in the primary PCI-Express slot (the double-wide one, x16). You can check (and change) the configuration of your PCI-Express slots with the Expansion Slot Utility, found in /System/Library/Core Services, and it will tell you if your card is running at full speed. There is more documention on apple.com.

I recently upgraded a friend's mac pro and was looking into this same issue, but he has the latest rev (early 2008). The newer mac pros have 2 x16 slots, so it doesn't matter for them. Hope this helps.

Yes, it's the 1st Gen MacPro. I'll put the card in the first slot. I also have a BlackMagic Intensity Pro in slot 3 or 4.

Thanks.

Back