2nd Video Card Suggestion

mpconnick

Registered
I've got a 733 G4 (January version) at home and a 733 G4 Quicksilver at work. Does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonably priced video card that is compatible with OS X and will allow me to have a second monitor on each machine? I would like the card to support 1600x1200 in thousands of colors. Anything beyond that is a bonus, but I don't want to pay extra for it.

I am not a gamer, so I am not concerned with game related performance issues. I am a programmer, and find it incredibly useful to have more than one monitor attached to my machine. I can program on one screen, test on the other, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

ATI Radeon or nVidia geforce2. That's it for under $250 cards for the mac. You -could- use a Rage 128/Pro 16MB card, but those are no longer available anywhere that I can find. I've been sitting here with a black second monitor on my right since getting this G4/733 because there are no reasonably priced pci cards for mac now, it really sucks.

You have only one choice right now -
The ATI Radeon 32MB PCI Version. Since you want to add a 2nd monitor, it has to be a PCI card, and although you could probably find an ATI Rage Orion PCI card, I don't know how it would fare under OS X. The Radeon is supported under OS X, and optimized under 10.1.

I'm using a dual800/G4 quicksilver with the GF3 in the AGP slot and an Radeon in the PCI slot under OS X 10.1 5G64. It runs great...

Back