3 button Mouse 4 OS X

st.st

Registered
Can anybody recommend a good 3 button mouse for a powerbook G4 running mac os x. I need something thats plug and play i dont wont to mess around with drivers and software.

Thanks ST

hmm, I'd suggest Logitech MX700, it's a superb mouse (although it has 7 buttons and scrollwheel) and installing the drivers is no big deal... Works flawlessly!

I'm using a Logitech cordless (about $40, not the "mouseman" one) and it's awesome! I just love the feel and the weight with the 2 AA's in it makes it nice and heavy.

Yea, ive been useing a old logitech M-BA47 for years (mouse ball) and it has held up well. So i would recomend a logitech mouse to you. Note: There are drivers inolved with OSX. Mutliple button mice are allready supported. As well are scroll wheels!! Nothing to install at all, just plug and play (as opposed to windows plug and prey)

Yes, Logitech mice are great, I can really recommend the Dual Optical mouse of theirs.

Other than that, I alos have great experience with Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer Optical...great mouse as well...

I also use a Logitech wireless mouse (around 40€ in this case) and it works great (drivers are quite decent).

The quality of the official Logitech drivers as well as the regular updates makes me wonder if there is not an exec or two at Logitech that is using a TiBook or the like. :p

Kensington are also nice.

dani++

all mice are plug and play. And to customize you can use the drivers that come with it or USB Overdrive X.

My friend game me a Gateway 3 button with scroll wheel mouse for free. She had issues with her orgional gateway mouse and they sent her 3 new mice. So i took two. Works very nice.

Twister

I also use a MS Optical Mouse Blue. Just a funny feeling seeing MS and Apple HW working together. The drivers will be automatically installed, so don't worry.

I think the best laptop mouse out there right now is the logitech MX500. But only if bulk isn't an issue for you! :D I have an MX700 but I only use it at home -- carrying around the wireless transmitter is a royal pain, that thing is huge and much more trouble than just plugging in a USB cable on the go. The MX500 is wired and both models have SEVEN BUTTONS!! OK, so I realize most mac users only want 1-3 buttons and that OS X is designed not to need more than 1, but you can automate so many things with 7 buttons it's great!! :D

i'm using a kensington something or other. it's backlit blue... extremely cool. 5 buttons, and the kensington mouseworks software (not required, but i love it) makes it so a 'chord' is a button (ie pushing two buttons at once). also you can make the buttons do key macros and each button can do something on a per-application basis:
example:
i right-left click to delete a file in the finder. right-left click copies text if it is highlighted, and the middle button pastes.
the back button on the mouse moves back in Safari (which is command-[) and also moves back in NoteTaker 3000 (which is command-left). it takes a little bit to set that part up, but once it's done it saves so much time.
of course you can just plug it in and it'll work as a regular ol' 5 button mouse anyway if you want it too. i just thought i'd reiterate that all that extra crap isn't required if you don't want it ^_^.

I also have a Logitech optical wheel-mouse. Its smooth, perfectly weighted and works out of the box with no drivers. I wouldn't mind shortening the cable, though.
I don't like the light weight and flimsy feel of the Microsoft ones, but I can tell you that they also work well under OS X.
Kensington make good mice for portable "road warrior" use, but I'd rather lug around a full size mouse where possible.

Back