3 Q's: single user mode, permissions, chpass

Abakadoosh

Smiling 'till death
1st question: ive tried on different computers and it works, but i cant seem to be able to startup in single user mode on my computer. im using osx 10.1.2, and i've been able to boot into it in the past, but i cant anymore. wondering if anyone had any idea. and i dont think its a device conflict, because i unplugged everything and rebooted, but still it wouldnt let me. btw, i cant do anything when i boot up. it doesnt matter what keys i hold down, it just doesnt recognise anything i do. i cant boot of a cd, hold down option to select which drive to start off, or even boot into firewire mode. and i would really like to boot into single user mode so that it doesnt load any gui. i know you can log in as >console, but it eventually keeps logging me out if i just leave it there.

2nd question: i have friends that are allowed to ssh into my computer, but i dont want them roaming all over my system. how do i keep them from doing so and restrict them to certain folders or their home directory without using chmod left and right? i tried changing the permissions of the root directory, but that caused problems left and right and the only way to fix it was to ssh into my computer through dads, and change the permissions from there. is there some file im missing in the etc or bin folder that i should know about? i know you can set their home directory with chpass and everything, but it doesnt restrict them to that folder.

3rd question: chpass uses the vi editor, but i dont know the commands and dont prefer that editor. i know i need to set the EDITOR enviorment tag to use PICO but i dont remember how to set enviornment settings. anyone? is it in the .tcshrc file?

Back