3 servers running under Rosetta

jbarley

One more, for the road!
Upon checking my intel mini's activity monitor, I see 3 servers using Rosetta.
NetServer, LoginServer, and USBserver.
Sort of strange as I would think these are all part of the core system.
Is this normal for OS X 10.4.8 on a mini duo core?

jb.

Hmm interesting. Were you running apps requiring rosetta at the time tho ?; if so are they still there if you close the applications down ?. I'll check my Mini the next time I'm on it (on my Win XP box currently) and see if I have them listed.

where are you seeing these items. I still have yet to figure that out. I run all my PowerPC apps on my macbook. it does have 1.25gb ram so i dont really see much of a difference in performace. Runs fast for me

I don't see those on my MacBook. But I don't see them _at all_ (neither as intel or powerpc versions in Activity Monitor.app), so I don't think they're core services of OS X. Or are you using Mac OS X Server and are those part of that? Where are the binaries of those tasks located on your harddrive?

USBserver cold be part of Brothers (Printer) Utilities.

/Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/Server/USBserver.app/Contents/MacOS/

USBserver cold be part of Brothers (Printer) Utilities.

/Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/Server/USBserver.app/Contents/MacOS/

Right on the mark Bob.

Looking deeper into Activity Monitor I see each of the 3 servers beginning with the line...
"/Library/Printers/Brother/Utilities/Server/"
Still odd since Brother claims the drivers included with the Intel Macs are Universal binaries.

PS: it appears the problem here is not the printer drivers, but the software for the scanner which is still PPC code and uses Rosetta.

Mystery solved.
Thanks guys & girls.

jb

Back