31.49Gb = 121.0Gb??

didde

Registered
I just bought myself a 120Gb hard drive from IBM.

The installation was smooth in my new Dual 867Mhz PowerMac..

But when I booted the system up after installation I was surprised to find that my 120Gb was reduced to 31Gb (!).

I had to open up disc utility and format the drive to get it to show in the finder, but that's exactly what I had to do to get my other 120Gb drive up and running.

So, anyone ever experienced something like this before? I sure haven't..

I even double checked the label on the drive and it states it is a 121Gb drive.. The wrapping was sealed so it cannot be a scam.

Anyone got an idea of what could be wrong?

Perhaps the jumpers on it are set to limit the drive capacity? Many hard drives have this, you should check it, usually instructions for this are given on the label of the HD.

> Perhaps the jumpers on it are set to limit the drive capacity?

I always suspected this, all HD's where manufactured in the 60's and are stored in a gigantic secret warehouse, every now and then they are re-jumpered to allow larger drive capacity. With the right jumpers you get terrabytes of data.

How is that for a good conspiracy theory ?

:D

I want to second the jumper suggestion. A co-worker of mine was complaining of the very same problem on a new HD he bought for his dual-ghz G4. I suggested checking the jumpers and low and behold they were set to limit the HD size to 32mb (required for compatibility with some very old PCs). He changed the jumpers and after that he could see his entire HD.

Thanks all of you!

You wouldn't happen to remeber what settings he used?

The manual from Apple says Cable Select, but I have tried that as well as "slave".

Didn't work..

Back