"3GHz in 12 months"...should I buy now?

Go3iverson

Registered
Hey all,

From being at the keynote, I'm ultra excited about the new G5 and the guarantee of a 3.0GHz Mac this year, though I hope they do it in 8 months, rather than 12.

Anyway, should I buy the dual 2.0? The machine seems incredible and I've always said, my next Mac will be the G5.

Out of curiosity, where's the L3 cache? That was huge in the G4! Do you all think they may release the next batch with it? It's a slight worry to me.

12 months seems like a long time away...what will the P4 be at by then? Even so, jumping up by 1Ghz is still good compaired to what Motarola would have done in a 12 months span. Heh...Im so glad IBM is making the chips now.

The G5 does not have any L3 cache!
This is because it doesn't need it due to the extreamly fast processor bus. The G4 needed a big L3 cache because the bus was so slow.

There will be incremental upgrades between the 2 and 3GHz models. So, it won't be such a huge speed increase all of a sudden.

However, Steve said they'd have 3GHz within a year from WWDC, so that's really only about 10 months or less from when the 2GHzs debut.

If I had the money I'd be buying a dual 2 gig as soon as possible.

I know I'm planning on getting the Dual 2.0GHz. I'm always worried about 1st generation systems...they always improve greatly the 2nd time around...usually. I'm not worried about stability, that's what AppleCare is for ;-)

Nah! I will buy that 1st generation Dual G5/2GHz from the get-go! :D

One year is too much for me! :p ;)

Originally posted by Go3iverson
Hey all,

From being at the keynote, I'm ultra excited about the new G5 and the guarantee of a 3.0GHz Mac this year, though I hope they do it in 8 months, rather than 12...
If Apple does not give me a quad-3ghz processor machine within 12 months then their slippin'...

When deciding what machine to buy, you should really never try to predict the future... And after you buy a machine you should ignore all hardware news for 1-3 years to avoid the feeling that your new machine is "obsolete".

I've got a QuickSilver G4 and I'm so I probably will not be ready for a new machine until the January 2005 Macworld SF...

Yeah, I've got an 867 G4 tower and a 1GHz TiBook....I think I'll send the tower to my mother to replace her 600MHz iMac and snatch up a G5 ;)

I'm going from a Ti Book 500 to the dual 2 GHz beast. It's more bang than I need right now, but while I've got the bucks...

Remember that when the dual 3.0's come out, the dual 3.5 - 4.0 will be "just around the corner". The top of the line model will never stay on top for more that 6 months.

lol, I love the "soon to be" in the signature!

Themacko, I can't buy all these machines. I've been a student for 4 years, so, since I had loans and what not, all my free cash could easily go to a new machine, since I didn't have bills, rent, or family.

The G5 is running a PowerPC 970 processor which is a derivative of the POWER4+ processor, IBM has just announced the POWER5 processor which should ship in the next year or so. This says to me that IBM is serious about shipping processors since their own computers use them.

If you order a G5 now, you will be able to get the 2 GHz Dual by September. If you wait a year, the 3 GHz processors should be available, but then there will be talk of 4 or 5 GHz processors and their availability.

It doesn't matter when you step into the retail river, things will always change. Prices will drop, processors will speed up, opportunities will change.

Right now you can buy a crazy fast dual 1.25 GHz G4 from Apple and end up with an unbelievably fast computer that will meet all of your needs and the price is really good. Yes the 2 GHz is nice and whatever ships after that will be even nicer. The biggest issue is when do you need a better computer?

I just bought a dual 1.25 ghz powermac g4 about 3 months ago, and i am soooo pissed because i could have waited and gotten a g5. Anywayz, i am gonna wait until the 3.0 ghz comes out and then buy it. So that i could have the fastest mac. Which will only last a month or two because then they will release the next fastest mac, the G6!!!!

Originally posted by THEMACER
I was planning on getting the low end g5 when i noticed it only goes up to 4 gb' s y apple y?

The majority of computers out there (even the high end stuff from Wintel/Amd) have a limit of 2GBs... :p And you are complaining for 4GBs? :rolleyes:

Nah! I think that 4GBs are MORE than enough for most of us, for at least couple years time, down the road! :D ;)

considering that u even bought 4 gb of ram....just think bout it. it would be such a waste of money. just put 2 GB of ram on the freakin beast and get a new iPOD or somethin ... (and stop complainin ol the time:))

My issue is, the G5 is fully capable of addressing much more than that, so why the dumbed down board?

Also, note it does not have PCI-X either.

They're trying to make it as cheap as possible. If you really need that much ram, don't you think you'd need a faster machine anyways?

Will you really need more than 4GB of ram?

Back