3rd 4th-gen iPod dies unsanctimonious death.

Have you had an iPod break? How long did you own it before it died?

• less than 3 months

• 6 months

• 1 year

• more than a year

• I have never had an iPod break

Results are only viewable after voting.

scacinto

Registered
That's right ladies and gentlemen, it has been but several months since my first post (distraught with angst over my demised iPod [the first one]) and my second replacement iPod (the 3rd overall) is throwing fatal errors every attempt to update or "add" songs to it.

"The disc cannot be read from or written to."

These words, almost a mantra to me of late, have herolded the death of sweet BilbiPod III.1, my latest, and apparently dead, iPod.

It's at times such as these when I reflect, as a seasoned victim of the Apple corps brutally incapable manufacturing, upon the nature of being a faceless, and therefore, insignificant consumer to the company to which I have been so loyal for so long. I begin to suspect that the only thing Apple understands is the bottom line as affected by sales, and in some cases, class-action lawsuits.

How many bad mp3 players can one company sell before they are held accountable for selling a $400 product that last only a year (or less)?

Perhaps one day we will find out. For now, though, I'm only interested in finding out how many 4th-gen iPods it takes to get one that works. For me, sadly, the third one was not the charm...

-S

Hm. Now I said mine died after more than a year, but it actually hasn't died yet. But I panicked today. This afternoon it suddenly stopped. 4th generation b/w 40 GB model. Worked beautifully for all its time so far, but today it suddenly (charged 95%) didn't show anything. Switched the hold switch on and off a couple of times, no-go. I already thought this would now be the chance to either buy a 1 GB nano or the 60 GB video (I know, they're far apart, but the two models I crave...), but just now, after pushing the vote button, I decided to smash the iPod hard with one hand onto the other hand. And suddenly I saw the Apple symbol. ;) ... It's running again. No problems, it seems. Guess it's going to die soon, but it could also simply run for another 10 years. Who knows what's going on inside the little baby. I really _wish_ I can get the middle 6G iPod once it's out, because that would make my line work (I had the middle 2G model, the middle 4G model and intended to wait for the middle 6G model for years...) Either way: Any of my iPod models so far has worked for more than 2 years easily. (My 2G model is still working in someone else's hands.)

Yeah, since you ask if peoples' iPods have broken you need a "still working" option. I have a 10gb 2G iPod and its still in pretty much perfect working order. I do get the impression the later ones are more delicate.

Me I'm waiting for a circa 10gb nano, don't need more space (would be pushed to fit my files on a 60gb version), but would love the smaller size

I figure that even a 10 GB nano would not be enough for my music, so I'd go for the cheapest model, since _any_ selection would be inherently flawed. What good are 80% of all your songs if the one you really want to listen to is _not_ on your iPod? ;) So it's either highend or lowend for me, I guess, right now.

My first iPod 20 GB, from January 2003, is up and running.So is the iPod mini, and even the Shuffle. Never had to get any service for any of them.

"even the shuffle"... No moving parts would suggest they shouldn't break _ever_ in my opinion. I think a harddrive-based iPod would be more prone to defects.

my 15g 3g ipod is still running fine, and its seen some abuse too ( dropped it on a tile floor once. boy did i cringe, but it fired right up.) the only issue is loss of battery life, only 6hr, insted of the factory fresh 8. but not enouph to replace the battery yet. i'm even thinking of upgradeing the hard drive when i do the battery. my itunes lib has grown to over 40gig! and i thought i'd never fill a 15gig ipod.

Back