4-Pin to 4-Pin or 6-Pin to 4-Pin Firewire?

The Mac

Registered
Hi, I'm buying one of those firewire cables for my sony camcorder, buy I don't know whether to buy a 4-Pin to 4-Pin or 6-Pin to 4-Pin cable for my iMac G3? Can someone give me like a picture of them both or something? Please? thanks. I'm trying to find a picture on google right now. I'll update if i find it. But please help! thanks!

You will find a pic here.

AFAIK, DV Camcorders have 4 pin firewire ports

I don't really get it. I think this how it works. The 4 pin is for the camcorder and the 6 pin means its for the firewire? lol. Do I plug the 4 pin wire into the A/V port on my camcorder?

I got two firewire ports that looks like this:
300px-FireWire_gniazdo.jpg

And a DV and a A/V OUT port like this on my camcorder.

23radf4.jpg

II got two firewire ports that looks like this:
300px-FireWire_gniazdo.jpg

If this port is on the Camcorder, then it's a 6 pin Firewire Port .... if on your Mac, then they are still 6 pin ... the image of the A/V OUT is blurry but the DV port ( on the right ) looks like a 4 pin port, or it could be USB, depending on the model?

Does the above connector look like it would be compatible with the port on the right in the pic of your CamCorder?

If this port is on the Camcorder, then it's a 6 pin Firewire Port .... if on your Mac, then they are still 6 pin ... the image of the A/V OUT is blurry but the DV port ( on the right ) looks like a 4 pin port, or it could be USB, depending on the model?

Does the above connector look like it would be compatible with the port on the right in the pic of your CamCorder?

Yeah it came with a DV to usb wire but it only came with windows drivers. It would be nice just to use USB, so i can save 10 bucks, but i wouldnt know how to get it to work. But yeah it looks like the A/V OUT port looks compatible. I took another pic.

345jzna.jpg

Have you tried connecting it up to your Mac using USB 2, then launching iMovie and seeing if the CamCorder has been recognised?

Have you tried connecting it up to your Mac using USB 2, then launching iMovie and seeing if the CamCorder has been recognised?

yeah. It just said no camera recognize. You think there is a driver out there? But anyways 6-4 pin will work for me right?

Just to be clear, the connector in my Post # 5 looks like it's compatible with your CamCorder? That connector is the 4-pin firewire connector and you would be looking for a 4-Pin to 6-Pin Firewire cable ....

Like this one.

Does your Camcorder come with a manual? What model is it?

Just to be clear, the connector in my Post # 5 looks like it's compatible with your CamCorder? That connector is the 4-pin firewire connector and you would be looking for a 4-Pin to 6-Pin Firewire cable ....

Like this one.

Does your Camcorder come with a manual? What model is it?

ok. thanks! Its a Sony DCR-TRV260 NTSC.

You can buy them at Walmart for US$7 - 8.

Camcorders are a bit tricky .. what OS version is on your G3?

In my above link, at the bottom I saw this:

* i.LINK is a trademark of Sony, used only to designate that a product contains an IEEE1394 connector. All products with an IEEE1394 connector may not communicate with each other.

I don't really get what the implications of this are but have seen plenty of threads about the woes of not being able to connec a camcorder to their Mac for one reason or another. FWIW, for the smallish cost of the firewire cable I would think there is nothing to lose.

Have a look at my last post, regarding the 'Connecting To A Mac' section in the Operations Guide ... you might be able to get the G3 to recognise the cam, using the USB cable you have with you?

You can buy them at Walmart for US$7 - 8.

Camcorders are a bit tricky .. what OS version is on your G3?

In my above link, at the bottom I saw this:

I don't really get what the implications of this are but have seen plenty of threads about the woes of not being able to connec a camcorder to their Mac for one reason or another. FWIW, for the smallish cost of the firewire cable I would think there is nothing to lose.

Have a look at my last post, regarding the 'Connecting To A Mac' section in the Operations Guide ... you might be able to get the G3 to recognise the cam, using the USB cable you have with you?

ok. Cool. I have 10.4.11 on my g3.

Your first eBay link is to a cable which has this as a feature:

Designed to be 100% compatible with Apple Firewire, Sony iLink and all other IEEE-1394 peripherals.

So, IMHO, they are both the exact same cable ....

ook, thanks! I'll go with the first one then cause its 2 dollars cheaper. lol. Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Most Sony camcorders have the 4-pin FireWire (smaller port). Macs come with 6-pin (larger) FireWire ports. These larger ports can supply power to other 6-pin peripherals, but not to 4-pin ones, so you need either a battery or power supply for those products when connecting to a Mac.

Back