512+128MB Ram enough?

DJ Rep

How Interesting...
Hi Will the above stated RAM amount be enough for my iBook as the price difference between the 512 and 1GB module are huge.
The kind of work I will be doing is mainly audio work, with some other general game playing and word processing and internet surfing etc.

Should be plenty. 1gb is always nice, but costs are always a hinderance.
A 640 mb total should cover most requirements.

In my case it was easy: after few days of no reboot (always used the sleep mode), every little app took a min to start up. With more ram, your system acts like after a fresh reboot. This was VERY important to me and the biggest enhancement.

Check out AP Grapher, which lets you see how much ram you have used and free. Nice app. Unless I'm really maxing apps out, my iBook G4 usually uses about 250 mb out of 640. Running PhotoShop, InDesign, iTunes, Safari, Mail, Word and GarageBand stress the system out, but that's pretty extreme.
I've also looked at 1 GB sticks but think I'll wait until the prices come down some more.

I have 512 MB on an iMac 700 MHz and once it told me there is not enough memory in GarageBand. When it's the only application running with Finder: no problems.

The more RAM you have in the system, the less the system has to use the swap. Modern kernels will keep as much in RAM as possible, but will swap out processes such as extra httpd, services that are not used very often, in order to allow high use processes in RAM. So more RAM, the less repedative use of swap, faster performance.

Back