512MB ram?

jdog

Not a Moderator
Hello,

I currently have 256mb ram and was wondering what kind of performance boosts (if any) I could expect with 512mb or more?

Thank-you,
jdog

P.S. Under OSX, of course :)

From the discussions on this forum and running X on a computer just like mine with 512 MB. It gets much faster with more ram. The dual G4 with 512 MB ran about 50% faster than mine.

go for it. I went from 128 to 384 to 512, and the second jump didnt bring as much of an improvement as the first, but RAM prices have gone down since then too, so there's no reason to get anything less. The only reason I don't get more for this one is I'm waiting for my ADC hardware discount to kick in, then I'm getting a new Mac.

Originally posted by endian

heh.. because you buy cheap ram ;) I got mine from ramjet and it was fine

Haha Endian!

I get it, but for the record: I will tell you right now that's bullshit. The situation was NO FAULT OF THE CONSUMER.

I know you're just playin': I am not trying to stomp you or anything, I just want to let people know that that the situation was in no way dependent on the price I paid for my RAM. It is still a sore spot...

Anyone who is interested can eMail or message me and I will give the whole spiel. But who needs to hear another sob story, right?

There is available on the 'net a utility that will patch your RAM and, hopefully, make it work with the new firmware... also, have u tried switching the slots that your RAM is in? That actually helped me re-recognize a RAM stick in my G4 at work. i don't know the name of the prog to patch the RAM offhand, but check versiontracker i suppose, or use sherlock to search the 'net ... its out there. I just haven't had the need to use it cuz RAM for my B&W G3 is so darn cheap and there's no pesky firmware problems ;)

thedbp

But I already got the vendor to replace the stick... DataMemory Systems, BTW. I thought it was very good of them to do so, but since then they have changed the policy and I don't like it now. Kudos tho to the developer of the utility, I wrote him a long letter saying how much it was appreciated.

I keep the signature because I don't want this blunder to be forgotten. I still maintain that Apple is at fault for not notifying us of the change, and am of the opinion that the general documentation of the software they produce is horrid. Does anyone remember the killer firmware for the Blue & White G3's?

Yes, yes I do ... and upset I was after first buying a G3 literally 2 weeks b4 the G4s came out (since I didn't have a computer b4 i bought it, i wasn't up on all the new items that would be released), then found out that the firmware wasn't going to let me upgrade to G4?!?!?! I'm glad they found a workaround ... I dunno .... I don't think its apple's FAULT necessarily, but it was a little sneaky and they really should have let people know in EXPLICIT terms what might have happened to their RAM ...

thedbp

An ad from the September 1983 issue of Byte:

IBM RAM BOARDS
with an RS-232C interface
$349
$507 with SuperCalc 2

$579
with an RS-232C interface
$727 with SuperCalc 2

The October '83 issue is a special issue "Unix on Micros" and has an article called "Usenet: A Bulletin Board for Unix Users"

(I just got a bunch of old Byte issues off ebay)

Here's the entire groups list as of May 1983:

control
fa.arms-d
fa.editor-p
fa.info-terms
fa.info-vax
fa.info-vlsi
junk
msgs
net.ai
net.audio
net.auto
net.aviation
net.books
net.bugs.2bsd
net.bugs.4bsd
net.bugs.uucp
net.college
net.columbia
net.comics
net.cooks
net.cycle
net.dcom
net.emacs
net.flame
net.followup
net.games.emp
net.games.rogue
net.games.trivia
net.garden
net.general
net.graphics
net.ham-radio
net.invest
net.jobs
net.joke
net.jokes
net.jokes.d
net.lan
net.lang
net.lang.c
net.lang.pasca
net.lang.pascal
net.mail
net.math
net.med
net.micro
net.micro.68k
net.micro.apple
net.micro.atari
net.micro.cpm
net.micro.pc
net.misc
net.movies
net.music
net.new.group
net.news
net.news.config
net.news.groups
net.news.map
net.news.newsite
net.nlang
net.notes
net.periphs
net.pets
net.philosophy
net.physics
net.poems
net.politics
net.railroad
net.rec
net.rec.caves
net.rec.photo
net.records
net.religion
net.rumor
net.sf-lovers
net.singles
net.social
net.sources
net.space
net.sport
net.sport.baseball
net.startrek
net.suicide
net.taxes
net.test
net.travel
net.tv
net.unix-wizards
net.usoft.s
net.wanted
net.wine
net.wines
net.wobegon
net.women
net.works
parents

I bet it still took forever to download on a 1200 baud modem!

What are you, some kind of speed freak drug addict?!@?!

1200 Baud! Feh!

I wuz cruizin' my C64 along at a leisurely 300 thank you - and my Tape Drive could just barely keep up .... 40 minutes to load a game. And it was all so worth it!

thedbp

I do not have an orginal reference point, but my powerbook G4 came with 512 and I have a G4 tower with 256. The difference excluding the Tower vs PowerBook of which a PowerBook is going to "Seem" slower no matter what... is that I can keep loading and loading apps on the powerbook before swap takes enough effect to slow things down. So I do not believe your going to see any effect on launch times or responce between 256 and 512, but you will notice a less of bottle-neck in the amount of services/apps you can run before seeing the life of your system being sucked away ;)

I just dont get it, unless you run classic, theres hardly enough native apps to even fill up the RAM on most computer displayed on the board!

I know that i just really oversimplified everything, but it was worth it.

Back