5g24: what's RAID

Originally posted by Straylight23

A raid-controller for MacOSX? Difficult. I read somewhere, that Adaptec and Atto have released some drivers for MacOSX.

HTH

cu:Stray

What kind of disks have to be used for RAID? Also can the drives fit in a G4 case or where would you put them?

Thanks!

PBDude

Depends on the controller. IDE/ATA-RAID controllers exist, allthough I haven't seen one for the Mac yet (but I also never looked). Most RAID systems use SCSI. RAID 1 is most often placed within the server, while larger RAID solutions are either placed in an external SCSI-tower or the whole Server comes in a huge server casing which already has tons of slots for SCSI drives.

IDE/ATA-RAID is definitely the solution for private PCs if you ask me.

Originally posted by ulrik
Depends on the controller. IDE/ATA-RAID controllers exist, allthough I haven't seen one for the Mac yet (but I also never looked). Most RAID systems use SCSI. RAID 1 is most often placed within the server, while larger RAID solutions are either placed in an external SCSI-tower or the whole Server comes in a huge server casing which already has tons of slots for SCSI drives.

IDE/ATA-RAID is definitely the solution for private PCs if you ask me.

So in otherwords it is possible to have a RAID in a G4 case? And it also possible to use ATA disks in the RAID? How much does a RAID controller go for?

Awesome!

As I said, IF ATA-RAID controllers exist! Don't know what they cost, I would think around 100 to 200 dollars.
Software RAID with two ATA disks is possible if the rumour turns out to be true.

As I said, IF ATA-RAID controllers exist! Don't know what they cost, I would think around 100 to 200 dollars.
Software RAID with two ATA disks is possible if the rumour turns out to be true.

I quickily looked at Adaptec's site and FOUND a RAID 0/1 ATA controller!!! HOWEVER, it doesn't support the Mac not even OS 9.

:(

BTW What is the web address for Atto's site?

PBDude

Damn, I still which Apple would adapt modern PC IDE controllers...they can controll up to six devices, rather than the two per bus on the mac.

Just wondering, someone told me once that with IDE, lets say you have two drives on the same 'chain'. (slave/master). I've been told that you truely only use one at a time (the controller chip alternates back and forth when both are requested).

So what I'm getting at is that if that 'one-at-a-time' rule applies to the 6 drive ata system, speed might be the same (but still more reliable). Any thoughts?

The orginal IDE raid manufacture is Promise. They have never made anything for the Mac that I am aware of, and it does not see that they even support UNIX.

I guess that our only hope for a Hardware IDE RAID controller will come from Adaptec.

We have an older Ultra Wide (40MB/S) raid drive at my work, which is run by an external controller inside of the external case on the SCSI chain. Does anyone know how possible it would be to have an external RAID 0 Firewire device?

Originally posted by knighthawk
I guess that our only hope for a Hardware IDE RAID controller will come from Adaptec.
Good news. I came across this Yahoo article just a few mins ago:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/010823/101/c1xve.html

LaCie is shipping the Flexible Ultra 160 RAID Tower for the Mac.

The device offers a choice of RAID (Redundant Array of Independent Disks) levels, including 0, 1, 0+1, 3 and 5. It hosts a 160MBs SCSI connection and contains 12 drives, with a total capacity of 12TB - which can be scaleable to 24 drives per array
- nd

sounds good, but that is a SCSI RAID device meaning that it is at least $300+ for the card without the drives.

Also, although LaCie has always been a very good company building external SCSI devices, I do not think that they have ever made a SCSI controller card, let alone an Ultra 160 RAID.

Oops. I take that back. This is not just a controller, this is an EXTERNAL RAID drive setup. And for $10,000, it is WAY out of the budget. But a 2ms access time would be nice.

Hi,

I've been reading this thread & I thought I'd just add my 2 cents worth.

I'm currently using an ARENA RAID tower on a G4 533mhz/512mb server running 9.1, AppleShare & 3 x 4D Server. I have to admit that I'm not using the cheapest version. Mine uses an SCSI-UW2 to connect with the G4 and has 6 x 20GB ata disks being controlled by a i960 RISC in a RAID 5 configuration. They have units ranging from 3 x ATA disks to 6 x SCSI-UW2 disks and more.

My unit cost me US$3500 but I was rudely awakened to the fact that the cheaper SCSI cards for this model G4 didn't function & I had to use an ATO SCSI card $$$$. :mad: The units are unimaginably simple to configure, with their simple menu driven configuration.

(RAID 5 is striped as mentioned earlier but there is no dedicated parity disk, because the parity for each disk is written to another disk. In the case of a dedicated parity disk, if it fails your in deep shit.)

To find info over the different types of towers, just go to google and type in the words ARENA & RAID. You'll be bombarded with hits, but you'll have to sort out the Japanese sites because they're unreadable. ;)

Back