5G48 smokes!

varmint

Registered
Some real world benchmarks on my B&W G3 350 with 448MB RAM:
Time it takes to open my homepage (slashdot.org) with IE:

OS 10.0.4 = 16 seconds
OS 10.1 build 5G48 = 6 seconds

I know, IE has changed also, so it's not a pure measure of the OS improvements, but it does indicate the type of speed increases you should expect.

I've had a conspiracy theory for a while now, and this massive improvement really backs it up, tell me if you agree. What if Apple intentionally slowed down initial releases of OSX in order to lure customers with slower hardware (G3's) back to store.apple.com for a faster box. It really feels like the parking brake has been released in the 5G48 build, so maybe Apple realized they slowed it down too much, and could potentially loose users.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a diehard mac fan and ADC member, but it's possible.

great forum BTW, this is my first post.

varmint

Originally posted by varmint
I've had a conspiracy theory for a while now, and this massive improvement really backs it up, tell me if you agree. What if Apple intentionally slowed down initial releases of OSX in order to lure customers with slower hardware (G3's) back to store.apple.com for a faster box. It really feels like the parking brake has been released in the 5G48 build, so maybe Apple realized they slowed it down too much, and could potentially loose users.
<p>I think that's a very interesting idea, but I have my doubts. I think Apple simply didn't get everything done in time. The weren't able to implement many key features that OS 9 had such as DVD playback and CD burning. I imagine they would have added those features if they weren't under pressure to put out an initial release of OS X. Maybe I'm wrong, but usually functionality comes before optimization.</p><p>Of course, if people went out and bought new hardware to run OS X, that certainly isn't something that Apple would complain about.</p><p>On the other hand, many people believe their current hardware support in OS X is a way to force people with old 9600's and the such to upgrade to G3 or higher hardware.</p>

I think Apple's main goal with the initial release was as much functionality they could include while also making it as stable as possible (at least, that's what I'd read). This would leave a lot of room for optimization. From talking with some of my friends who use Linux, when running things via command-line the speeds are comparable, if not better, to their Linux counterparts. This is reasonable, since Apple has had much more time to work on those tools.

Admiral, let me know how 59 goes. I can't imagine they've done too much since 58. My next upgrade will probably be GM.

BTW, I've been running for 3 straight days without a reboot. That's pretty standard in the linux world, but a pre-release mac OS!? That's awesome.

varmint

Back