7b59 ? :)

iscaro

Italian Cool Mac User :-)
It is so cool!!!

I just have no time to test it really good, but it looks so fast, good behaving and looking too....

And it looks like localizations are in place!

Have fun!!! :D

vImage: Apple has publicly demonstrated Panther's image editing capabilities, such as the ability to set up a folder action that automatically processes images, resizing or converting them as they are dropped in. "vImage" is Apple's image processing library, including high-level functions for manipulating images such as file format conversion, geometric/morphological transformations, convolutions, alpha compositing, and more. Developers have this library at their disposal.

Quote from Think Secret...

What does this mean? ... We can have folders that automatically can do actions to manipulate images (ie convert to JPG), as soon as they are dropped in? That sounds VERY Cool! ... Sure beats opening PS7 just to resize / crop an image.

People?!

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
What does this mean? ... We can have folders that automatically can do actions to manipulate images (ie convert to JPG), as soon as they are dropped in? That sounds VERY Cool! ... Sure beats opening PS7 just to resize / crop an image.

People?!

Yes. That is exactly what that means. I may have to give it a shot and see how well it works…

i think you have to know applescript-- time to start brushing up!

You will need to know applescript definitely, but there are already a few example scripts for folder actions that come with Panther, eg: "save a copy as .TIFF", "save a copy as .jpg" etc. shouldnt be too hard to look at the examples and play around with your own ones.

Originally posted by chrisjasper
You will need to know applescript definitely, but there are already a few example scripts for folder actions that come with Panther, eg: "save a copy as .TIFF", "save a copy as .jpg" etc. shouldnt be too hard to look at the examples and play around with your own ones.

Oh ok! .. I've never really explored AppleScript much, i've used predefined scripts for Quicktime stuff, but never coded a thing ... How hard is it really? Programming was never 'exciting' to me...

I hope apple offer many downloadable 'template' like scripts... This could be quite a COOL Function in the end... :D

Originally posted by ~~NeYo~~
Oh ok! .. I've never really explored AppleScript much, i've used predefined scripts for Quicktime stuff, but never coded a thing ... How hard is it really? Programming was never 'exciting' to me...

AppleScript is programming, and as such can be tedious and boring. However, the things that you can do with it can be so ultra-cool and powerful, it's definitely worth investing time if you're a power user...

It might be programming in the traditional sense - much like programming your VCR. However, you wouldn't refer to schedule the recording of a TV show as 'coding', would you? ;-)

AppleScript is very, very simple. Basically, it's English. You just 'tell' the applications what to 'do'.

AppleScript is pretty cool, but I haven't used it much. But here's a guess at how easy it would be to do:
VB has influenced me too much as some of you may be able to tell ;)
Code:
for all Files in thisFolder
    tell library vImage 
        resize file to xxx by xxx
        save file as xxx.jpg
    end tell
loop

As you can see, I know little AppleScript(beyond tell, end tell :D), but I can guarantee it wouldn't be much harder than that.

That would be really handy for sure.

Another good thing would be if you could right click on a file and there would be a sub menu of the printers on your system. Then you can just select the printer and it would print.

You could also do it for as many files as you want and make it really easy to print.

wow, cool, that does look almost "english" ... As you guys probably noticed, something i STILL struggle with! haha! ...

Thanks for enlightening me! :D

Haven't had a chance to try it out, but checked and there is an AppleScript Dictionary for Image Events. Commands include:

crop
flip
rotate
scale

I would imagine one could modify one of the supplied "rotate" Folder Actions Scripts to scale instead of rotate and attach it to a folder.

Looks promising. I'll keep you all updated...

This is a sweet build, everything is working perfect, stability is great, and all the new features make this OS great!

I had some troubles with default file handlers in 7B53. Can anyone confirm this for 7B53 and tell me whether that's fixed in 7B59? I'm preparing to install that baby. :)

Well, did you in 7B53? For example, and this _may_ sound strange, mailto: links in webbrowsers opened in InDesign 2 for me (!), Word files defaulted to Illustrator 10 (and they DID open, I found out that Illustrator 10 in Panther can read Word files, yay!). I'm installing 7B59 right now. Time remaining is 5 minutes, so I'll give an update in a few minutes, I guess. :)

Okay. It seems like setting the mail handler _is_ possible. In Mail.app. I think Apple should reimplement an Internet config prefpanel for this. :/ Now, my maillinks work again, and I'll change the default file handlers in the Finder on the fly... Most of them are fine by now, anyway... 7B59 is nice. The new 'Aqua Blue' in this build (background picture for login and desktop) is beautiful. :)

Back