7b74

God... this is way too quick, huh? I am just waiting for the final release. Shouldn't take that much time anymore. Btw, what do those numbers say (74)?

Anything new?

Like an updated iCal with Exchange support (or ANY kind of groupware support)?

The number means it's the 74th build of the Panther beta. (Not every build is released, of course...)

Yes, what's new in 74? It should have a program called "Baseball," where it sends cyberballs to PC's (baseballs break windows...).

Why, though, when I can come here and extract it from you guys with dental pliers and silly string?

Well, that's better than the dull grey that was there in the recent builds. I definitely like the polished silver look better than the dull grey metal that Apple is moving everything to (a polished "silver" G5 would have been much, much better), but what's up with the lack of color, Apple?

Do you think Jonathan Ives and the software design team have all gone colorblind and are punishing the rest of us? Or are they just way overcompensating for iMac backlash?

I'm also curious if the problem with missing SMB drives hanging the system has finally been quashed (it wasn't in earlier builds). Basically if an SMB share (CIFS, think "Windows share") is mounted and is unreachable, the system (most particularly the finder, but eventually the dock and other apps) just hang, sometimes for entire minutes, as timeouts occur. This is/was, well, less than robust and a huge problem for anyone using Macs in a Windows environment. Particularly a problem for corporate or portable users.

Can't test those, sadly, Ripcord. Thx for linking my site's screenshot, Ricky. ;-) I'll post an installation review there later on today.

Apart from the new Apple logo, there's also a new logo (I think) when you choose 'Restart' from the Finder menu:

restart7b74.gif

Neither for me, but I've heard of at least _one_ person who had no problems with it. :(

Back