7B85 Not Reliable!

Well it is fun to play with, (10.3) and I do believe that it is the GM, I haven't found any odd quirks with the software that I'm running.

The only thing that I have found as odd, is when an application crashes, it still offers to send a crash report off to apple. Either this is a new feature to help apple sort out what is causing crashes, or apple still has sound debugging code in this build to clean up before release. (They had better hurry up, I just got my confirmation e-mail saying that my order is being processed.) :)

As far as the "IOPlatformMonitor" I'm not sure, wish I could be of more help to you on that.

Bookem,

I tried what you said, removing the converted AU's while in 10.2.8, rebooted 10.3, and it worked! I reconverted the plugins, repaired permissions, and rebooted, and it worked. I hope we don't run into this on Oct. 24th, when the final Panther is released. It may also be the VSTtoAU converter. I'll let Angus know.

Thanks again for the tip.

Dean

Here's a new one:

I am having troubles with a Classic app (Outlook 2001) complaining about not having "write access" to something. To troubleshoot, I fast user switched to the login screen, clicked on "Other users" and logged in as root (which I had previously enabled). When I tried to run the app as root, it complained that Classic was already open by the other user. I switched back, closed Classic.

I notice that the user I was logged in as, "System Administrator", was not in my "fast user switch list". I switched to the login window - neither the user OR "other users" was listed! I had no way to switch back to the user.

I tried re-enabling root, no luck. Rebooting didn't help. I can change the login mode to let me explicitly log in as a particular user, but I have no way to log in as root anymore from the User List!

Plus, the fact that Outlook 2001 won't run on this system for some bizarre reason is a Bad Thing...

(wow, when did I hit 500th post? =)

After Googling for about a minute, I found that IOPlatformMonitor is plugin for the AppleMacRISC2PE kernel extension. Apparently one of those AU plugins was trying to locate the kext's plugin and that's what was causing your grief. The site went down last night while I was posting my reply, and that was at home...

Glad you got it sorted, for the most part.

Ripcord - System Administrator is not going to show up in the list to FUS, just as it is not in the list of users to login as at the login screen. I believe it has to do with the uid of the user. Any user with a uid under 100 (_I think_) will not show up in the login screen. Since the users.menu is probably using the same principles as the login screen, it's only natural that System Administrator does not show in the FUS menu. That being said, did you happen to notice if the Back button was active when you were at the login screen trying to re-login as root? What exactly were you being presented with at the login screen?…

No, no back button. Instead, all I got were the "regular" user list (the one user I created) plus the shut down, restart, and sleep buttons.

I just reproduced this here at home, where I have two users in the user list. After logging in as root, I no longer have an "Other..." option at the login screen.

Also, has anyone but me noticed that when you're setting transparency in the Terminal for the first time, it only applies up to 50% transparency, but when you quit and re-enter, it doubles the amount of transparency you had set? This has been true for me since at least 7B49 and still in 7B85, and I've noticed it across 3 very different machines.

Oh Man, i just installed B85!

WOW, the speed increase / responsiveness for me is MAJORLY noticable!!

(Cube G4 500Mhz / 1.25Gb RAM / GeForce 3 64Mb / 120Gb HDD)

Love that, besides that Exposé is nice too ... but unfortunately, its not half as 'exciting' as it was moving from 10.1 --> 10.2, but hey, i expected that! ... I love it, and cannot wait to get a retail copy!!

LOVE the SPEED!! :D

Edit: .. i forgot my sig has specs! D'oh! Ah well

ONE crazy but cool thing for me was ... i can do a Slow-Mo (SHIFT) Genie ... and Still magnify over the dock, and its SOOOOO smooth!! :D :D :D :D

Neyo, where do you keep disappearing to?

Cybergoober, what was the shift supposed to have done? I expected either 1) my problem would be fixed, or 2) the transition would have been really slow. I didn't see either.

I did notice that VNC no longer works when I switch to the login screen (I'm having to do work from my Windows laptop), though =)

Originally posted by Ripcord
Neyo, where do you keep disappearing to?

Heeeeeyy! :p Woah, sounds like someone actually notices i am not around?! :eek: :eek:

...Errr, i mainly post over @ the Mac forum(s) over @ Neowin.net, but i still like to check out these forums still too! Maybei should post more?! :D

Originally posted by Ripcord
…
Cybergoober, what was the shift supposed to have done? I expected either 1) my problem would be fixed, or 2) the transition would have been really slow. I didn't see either.

Hmm. When I select "Login Window…" from the Fast User Switching menu, as the screen fades I immediately hold the Shift key. When the Login Window appears I am presented with a list of the users on the system, including "Other…". When I do not hold the Shift key, "Other…" is not listed. I just did it like four times while typing this reply to verify that it works (at least on my two systems here at work).

Have you tried this after logging in as Root once?

Weird if it's just be me since I'm doing this on two different computers (one, Dual G5, the other G4 1.25, so they're pretty different hardware-wise)... One is running 7B85, the other is running 7B80...

Yes. I was logged in as me. I then selected Login Window from users menu then logged in as root. Switched back to me. Selected Login Window from users menu. No Other. Held down Shift as the screen faded to present the Login Window. Other available.

Back