8-Core Mac Pro coming?

I just wondering if MacPro 8 cores with 64 bits. Are we able to install Vista or XP with 64 bits on MacPro? Also, will it work with any program since it have 8 cores?

Well, the Xeons that are in the current Mac Pro are derivatives of the Core 2 Duo, and those are 64-bit so I imagine that it would be the case.

I wish they would not use misleading names, putting 4 dual core in one machine does not make a 8 core computer. Yes you have 8 cores to work with but it not a true 8 core. It will be late this summer or maybe early fall before we even see true quad cores on the same chip.

I wish they would not use misleading names, putting 4 dual core in one machine does not make a 8 core computer. Yes you have 8 cores to work with but it not a true 8 core. It will be late this summer or maybe early fall before we even see true quad cores on the same chip.

That's exactly how I feel about the whole thing. It's pure marketing when they call it an 8-core Mac when in fact it's 4 cores x 2. That's like calling the Pentium D a true dual core CPU when it was actually two Pentium 4 chips sandwiched together. :rolleyes:

MacOS X 10.4.9 is not native 64 bits yet. Anyway, I am surpised to see that Apple update bootcamp 1.2 only allow us to run Vista with 32bits not 64bits. Sucks!~

MacOS X 10.4.9 is not native 64 bits yet. Anyway, I am surpised to see that Apple update bootcamp 1.2 only allow us to run Vista with 32bits not 64bits. Sucks!~

I agree with you all the new Intel chips are 64 bit chips. OS 10.5 will be 64 bit so why not let us run Vista 64, does not make much since.

I agree with you all the new Intel chips are 64 bit chips. OS 10.5 will be 64 bit so why not let us run Vista 64, does not make much since.
I think 64-bit Vista requires different BIOS, so maybe Apple has simply not finished creating/testing their workaround for that. It's not too surprising that they got 32-bit Vista working first, since it's more similar to XP, and I see nothing wrong with releasing an update with only 32-bit Vista support if the alternative is withholding even that for another month or two while they finish up 64-bit support.

Back