8 gigs in lest then a sqare inch!?

The article says the cards will be capable of storing 8 GB, not that they are.
It's just as lame to say as saying Intel will have 20 GHz processors or hard drives will be capable of storing a TB of data. It's not going to happen in the near future. And if they succeed, just look at the current prices for 1 GB RAM cards. The prices for 8 GB cards would be astronomical.

am I the only one that thinsk much of these damned things are simply too small to handle efficiently? I really loved the size of the PC Cards... such as the IBM Microdirve with adaptor attached. Why not simply work on making those solid state and faster and denser. Do we really need this technology to be pakced into a chip the size of a penny or so?

The reason CD's are the size that they are is because that seems to be an ideal size for such collectible type items as favorite music albums. In truth, we could have implemented technology in different ways at different times to come up with any size of media for the storage of an hour of music. We chose CD's.

So what's the ideal size for swappable solid state storage? Pardon my alliteration. I happen to really like smart media / smart cards. Figuring any size could be made with ideal capacity and throughput, I like smart cards.

But I think that what this technology needs to push it over the top is another trick. Maybe they could be used in tandem so that you could continuously shoot video rolling seamlessly from one card to the next. Or maybe an onboard fullness indicator. lcd on the edge to indicate free space remaining while inserted in a device or out? That would be cool. 3 times the throughput for a still camera just isn't a worthwhile gimmick.

My mom is a photographer for a company she co-owns and they have another twist to the question of good size (physical) for media. When they had their lower quality (2.5 mega pixel) camera they only used 16 - 32 megabite cards even though they used so many of them. It would have been more economic to get a 128 meg card but when each photo is worth so much, they can't risk a failed card wiping out their whole collection.

now they have a 6 megapixel camera and they need the biggest size card they can get just to put about as many photos on it.

So like theed said, there's got to be a pull towards certain sizes or capacities. It probably depends on what your medium is as to what that size should be.

Back