80 yrs old--> new iMac... a short story by swizcore.

swizcore

Help Guide Coordinator
OK, my grandfather bought my grandma a 700mhz (oldschool) iMac for Xmas, Ive been giving them lessons on how to do this and that since my grandad hasn't used a computer since his old Mac II :) (He's always been a Mac lover and he is a rich retired doctor, so you know he is smart)... Anyhow, he has offered to buy me a new iMac for my tutoring :). So, this works out great, I can use my DP G4 tower at my "office" and keep the iMac at home for catch-up work and other assorted fun duties. I just wanted to voice how cool I think my grandfather is, at 80 yrs old he is using a Mac again.

I've been tutoring my grandpa for two years on his iMac!! At least once a week I get a call: "John, I forget how...." and I have to provide tech support over the phone:rolleyes: All I ever got out of it was dinner....:( (Maybe your grandpa can send me a low end iMac for helping the elderly....:D )

I used to help my father with his PC nearly every day. "How do I copy a file from a to b again?". "How do I connect to the Internet" etc. etc.
I made a deal with him. He uses my cube for a month and I get the PC (I just wanted to prevent that he switches back). I also bought him a book which should introduce people to OS 9 and OS X. A very good book for beginners. When the month was over (he even designed a magazin with Pagemaker for the school where he is teacher in that month after a bit introduction by me) I unplugged everything and took my Cube back to my house. My mother told me he came back from school in the evening, went into his room and saw the empty space where the 17'' Studio Display was and there was his old PC again and was really sad. He immiditealy called me, asking me if I could bring him the Cube and the display (he loves it ;) back. I told him I need the Cube for server work but I then got him an older G4 Dual 450 with a new 17'' Studio Display ( he was like a child, he couldn't await till the stuff arrived), and the only time he now calls is when he got something new and tells me how great it is. From somebody who was barely able to use a PC he turned into a good Mac user who knows how to administrate and run his Mac.
This really showed me again the difference between Macs and PCs, and how I don't miss the PCs I used for around 10 years....

Originally posted by swizcore

Will do, I'll let ya know what he says :)

PLEASE GOD TELL ME THAT YOU'RE REALLY GOING TO DO THAT :D :D :D

lol... anyways....

it's nice to hear that a troubled PC user that has no Mac knowledge can learn how to use a mac so easily! i can use this story to help my parents and school district switch from beige boxes to new shiny translucent white and clear plastic macs!

Back