802.11a cardbus on 10.2

binaryDigit

Registered
Does anyone know which 802.11a cardbus adapters will work with 10.2? I've looked around on google and can't really find anything (tough because google wants to filter out the 'a' and you end up getting all 802.11 stuff). The manuf. sites that I've gone to don't list the Mac as supported (Netgear, Linksys, DLink, Proxim), but is there any type of unsupported drivers out there? Is there no one using 802.11a on a Mac?

I know about the quotes, but it still filters it out anyway (it says that 'a' is too common). Right now if I do a search on "802.11a" with the quotes, the first article that comes up (this is on a usenet search) is one that has 802.11b and 802.11 and doesn't mention 'a' at all. I've emailed google about this a while back as this behaviour continues to annoy the heck out of me. Should have mentioned that it was a groups search before, sorry.

The problem with the Proxim (or DLink or anything else I've seen mentioned on Mac sites), is that when you go the manuf. site, they do not list the Mac (or OSX) as being compatable with any of their 802.11a cardbus cards. Even following the link that you provided over to Proxim, they only list Windoze support. That's why I was hoping for some first hand experiences before I run out and have to buy a 'b' wap to go along with my 'a' wap.

Thanks though

Yup, already tried that too. It does help pull in 802.11a, but it also pulls in any mention of 802.11 with the word 'a' in it as well.

This is one of the weak points about google group search (that and lack of stemming) that I've emailed them about. They're getting better (used to not be able to search for special characters like the ampersand '&', so you could never do a search on 'at&t', luckily that works now.) Hopefully they'll correct this soon as well.

In the meantime, I'm unfortunately no closer to finding out the answer to my question :( I've sent some emails out to the manufacturers and I'll see what they have to say.

Thanks for trying to help out.

Hope this helps, I have a Linksys wireless access point and a Linksys 802.11b wireless card in my TiBook G4 and a Lucent WaveLAN card (now Agere or Orinoco something like that...) 802.11b card installed on my wifes Lombard G3. I'm using a third party open source driver (http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net) and all works like a charm!

Back