802.11g solution for iBook G3?

d8n_two

Registered
Given the steady transition to 802.11g (99% of our computers), our office has decided to turn off the 802.11b (hybrid mode) of our wireless network to gain a little extra network efficiency, at least according to the IT people. This leaves myself and a few other iBook G3 owners out of luck with our old 802.11b Airport cards. So, I'm looking for some alternative.

One option that I've already considered is attaching a separate access point to the Ethernet LAN and running an alternative 802.11b network on a separate channel. I don't think IT is going to let me do. They're very territorial, and this goes against their masterplan. I have no problem with this.

When smaller USB-802.11g adapters with Mac drivers become available, I might be able to use those. However they will be USB 2.0 as USB 1.1 is not capable of 802.11g speeds, but I'm crossing my fingers that they will work with USB 1.1 at a slower speed. The connection is all I care about, not necessarily the speed.

So, does anyone know of any 11g product that can connect with an iBook G3 and of course, keep it mobile? Any help or advice is appreciated.

d8n_two

The linksys WUSB54G is a USB 802.11G adaptor. It is powered off of the USB bus, just velcro it to the lid of the laptop. It works with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0. Now, if it works with OS X is unknown, you can give it a try tho.

Brian

Back