A better email program? Any suggestions?

For the record, I went with PowerMail. $49...and it's pretty good.

I did try Mail.app again, but it kept puking on my importing of Eudora mail.

MailSmith seems good, but it's expensive. Plus it has the Eudora interface of multiple windows for each mailbox...something I personally don't like. It also couldn't import my Eudora files at all.

Gnumail looks nice, but it looks like I need to install 2 other apps to get it running.

PowerMail is a lot like Outlook Express interface wise, but seems quite a bit snappier. There are only two ommisions, IMHO:

1) No built-in spell checker (it does interface with a free one, though).

2) You can't filter via body messages...something I like for filtering Spam.

But, overall, it seems like a very good app.

Originally posted by aluminum
Is anyone using GNUmail? If so, could you explain how to install it? I'd like to try it out but have no idea how to get it running.

I gave it a try just for fun, but the interface is very bad. Cool-looking big buttons, but they have hardly any information value...

its not the prettiest around, but ive used eudora for yrs... I like it... I know the keyboard shortcuts.

tried outlook express once... WAY slower than eudora.... I trashed that real fast. It was just too slow...

apples mail program..... its not bad I guess..... hard for me to can eudora... used it for yrs...

tried entourage once.... seems slow to me... :(

I didn't want to leave Eudora, as I've been using for 5+ years to. However, the last beta just puked out on my machine. It just stopped working.

If they had gotten out of beta with the OSX version a lot sooner, I probably would have stuck with it.

The more I use Powermail, the more very minor issues I find, but overall, it's a really good program. If they keep updating it, i think I will stick with it for a while.

I think the only thing that will change my mind is the new address book in Jaguar. If Palm get sync to it, I'll switch to the first email app that fully supports it.

Originally posted by aluminum
Well, Bob...I've always like Eudora, so maybe you can shed some light on my problems.

Things were OK until this last forced-beta version. I still use separate instances of the preferences folders to handle different POP accounts. This time, one of them works fine, the other just stopped working. I'd go to check mail, the checking mail dialog would flash for a split-second and nothing would happen. I could enter wrong passwords and the same would happen. I have absolutely no idea how to fix this, as the two preferences folders are identical.

I had just that problem with pop accounts. I trashed both sets of prefs including the backup and eudora now works. I am now unfortunately, not sure whether all of my mail is being sent. I don't need that. so I am probably going to look for a new mail app as well. Quallcomm have made an announcement saying they were speeding up the development of eudora and apologised for the delay. if they don't hurry it will be too late and we will all go elsewhere. the latest beta is ugly. I guess you get what you deserve if you use beta software.

Back