A Bulging Battery And A Spastic Trackpad

crowncanada.ca

Registered
Recently my Macbook Pro began shutting off without warning when I was working in battery mode. No warning, no battery low caution, it would just shut off. I'd have to re-boot only to find the battery power level was still sufficient presenting a puzzle.

Soon after, the track pad began behaving eratically. The cursor would lock onto open panes moving the entire pane around the screen and the mouse clicker became "solid". It wouldn't click down and became hyper senstive. My finger could just brush it and dock applications/files would open up. Weird.

After a few days I noticed my Pro sitting tilted up on my desk. Thinking there was a pencil or coin underneath lifting it, I picked it up to find the battery was actually bulging. It immediately reminded me of alkaline batteries bursting with their acid.

As it turns out, I learned from AppleCare and my retailer li-ion batteries can burst too and mine was about to do so. As the battery is directly under the track pad, the bulge exherted upward pressure therefore messing up the trackpad sensitive and functionality.

A new battery and the Pro returned to normal.

Thought I would just pass on this experience for the benefit of others.

Back