A Couple of Questions about Carbon

Hi,

I'm fairly new at programming software for the Mac, so I have a couple of questions. I should mention that I'm using Carbon.

My first question is: can anyone tell me if there are XML parsing functions that will parse a XML file for its values made by the Property List Editor that is included with the devleopment tools?

My second question might be easier. Is there a function that I can use to launch the default web browser and take them to a URL when they click on a menu item? If there isn't a specific function, what is the function that will launch an external application?

Thank you for your help!

Alex

eiskalteschatten said:
My first question is: can anyone tell me if there are XML parsing functions that will parse a XML file for its values made by the Property List Editor that is included with the devleopment tools?
Alex
Core Foundation has functions for parsing XML files that you can call from a Carbon program. You must add the Core Foundation framework to your project to use these functions. You can read the documentation on the XML parsing functions in Xcode (Choose Help > Documentation in Xcode) or at Apple's developer site.. The XML parsing documentation can be found in the Core Foundation documentation section under Internet and Web.

I'm not very experienced with raw Carbon, but I know you can load URLs using AppleEvents or AppleScript. The Standard Additions library (/System/Library/ScriptingAdditions/StandardAdditions.osax) has the command. In AppleScript, it just takes one line:
open location "http://www.macosx.com"

Hope this helps.

Back