A couple tricky Cocoa questions

Gnophos

Registered
(Actually, they'll probably be easy for some of you, but saying they're tricky tends to attract potentially helpful people ;-)

Okay, hi there, I have been programming on the Mac for years in various languages, so I know all the basics, but still have a lot to learn. I have been learning how to program for OS X with the help of the book "Learning Cocoa with Objective-C". But it doesn't cover everything, of course.

I suppose first I should ask how to pick up keystrokes even in the b/g (like LaunchBar, which is triggered to the f/g by Cmd+Space). There doesn't seem to be any sample code in the tons that came with Xcode. Technically I only need to be able to receive keystrokes when the Finder is active, so other apps don't matter.

Secondly, what is the best way to create a window in the Finder with the info I want to display there? I'm not clear on the process of communicating with the Finder like this.

If there's a place on the Web that already answers these questions, you can just redirect me, I won't mind. Thanks!

P.S.: Please don't use CODE tags when posting code, this browser isn't handling them properly. Thx.

Back