A database software failure?

AppleWorks still functions and can be bought, but not from Apple,

LOL...what a jerk.

Next you will be telling us to use Lotus 1-2-3. It's still available. You just have to look in folk's attics.

and you suddenly become picky about databases when a cluster of the ones you list are feeble to say the least.

Yes, we should all listen to you for software recommendations because you are such a genius.

Tomorrow I'm going to start running my business on AppleWorks. Who cares if there has been no development on the program for 5 years? It's more powerful than those other (weak) database programs, right?

Randy,
Let me be clear, I have no "Axe to grind", what I do have is nearly two decades of development with a software package that despite repeated promises by it's owners continues to be, frankly, a big disappointment.

Your continued proclamation of Helix's new release as a sign of it's life is funny at best and kind of pathetic. Do you put this much research into all of your publications? My po"int is that while QSA Toolworks continues to "release" new versions they are really just trying desperately to hang on to their ever shrinking user base.

My reason for posting at all was to head off anyone from wasting their time even researching this product. Unless you are running OS9 on PowerPC machines.
Regards
Phil

Juvenile or fool or just an arsehole?

Maybe all 3, but concentrating on the 3rd.

Yes, you would be the expert, because you are so mature and brilliant.

Thank you for sharing your incredible wisdom with us all here in a public forum. You certainly have educated us and amazed us with how impressive you are.

Randy,
Let me be clear, I have no "Axe to grind", what I do have is nearly two decades of development with a software package that despite repeated promises by it's owners continues to be, frankly, a big disappointment.

Which, I'm afraid, sounds to me to be the definition of having "an axe to grind." And there is nothing wrong with that. You are entitled to hate them. But one would have hoped that you would have stated that up front.

Your continued proclamation of Helix's new release as a sign of it's life is funny at best and kind of pathetic. Do you put this much research into all of your publications? My po"int is that while QSA Toolworks continues to "release" new versions they are really just trying desperately to hang on to their ever shrinking user base.

Once again, that may all be true, and it would have been perfect if you had stated that up front. But by definition, if a company is releasing products to keep from "shrinking their user base" they aren't "dead." They may have shrunken to the point of practically being irrelevant, but they aren't dead.

My reason for posting at all was to head off anyone from wasting their time even researching this product. Unless you are running OS9 on PowerPC machines.
Regards
Phil

It is never a waste of time simply to research things. I, for one, like to know all the facts before I make a decision. I'm sure that we all appreciate it when someone warns us away from a bad product. I think that it's great that you are doing so now. But please do it by only stating the facts, not by making things up. Helix may be moribund, but it isn't "dead."

Randy,
Do you ever admit you were wrong? Wow, you slam appleworks but support Helix. What would anyone else call a software package that will not run on hardware that isn't at least 5 years old.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, but your definition of usable software is suspect, again I would question either your ability to critique software objectively. You chose to argue with someone that has actually used the software in question, which I can just about guarantee you have not.

Do not believe press releases published by the people trying to get you to buy something.
Best Regards
Phil

Do you ever admit you were wrong?

I'd admit that I was wrong, if I was wrong. But not only am I not wrong, if you go back and read my posts carefully you will see that I have agreed with everything that you have said...except your statement that Helix is "dead."

Even a 7 year old can go to their Web site and see that they are not dead, and that they just released an update.
http://www.qsatoolworks.com/
Even you admitted that they are "releasing updates to keep their user base from shrinking." That means that they are not dead.

As I said (if you want to check), Helix may be irrelevant, it may even be just about worthless as a product, but it isn't "dead."

Wow, you slam appleworks

I haven't "slammed" AppleWorks. It was a wonderful product for ordinary users in its day. But there have been no updates to AppleWorks in over 5 years, and Apple stopped selling it 2 years ago.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2007/08/rip-appleworks.ars
http://www.apple.com/support/appleworks/
It is truly dead, unlike Helix.

Comparing the database features of AppleWorks to the database products I listed earlier in this thread, and claiming that the latter are "feeble" and that AppleWorks is somehow superior, as rubaiyat did, is asinine. That's like saying a BMW is inferior to a Ford. That isn't a criticism of AppleWorks (or Fords, necessarily). AppleWorks was a great product for what it was meant to do.

but support Helix.

I don't "support" Helix. It's just that you hate the company so much that you can't see that. I specifically told you that "I couldn't care less about Helix."

Pointing out that the product is still being offered for sale, and that it is still being updated, is not "support." Those are non-subjective facts that can't be disputed by a rational person.

What would anyone else call a software package that will not run on hardware that isn't at least 5 years old.

Definitely not a good one. Maybe even one that next to nobody wants. But not a dead one if it is still being sold and updated constantly.

In addition, at the risk of being labeled a "Helix supporter", it seems to me that the release notes for the latest version of Helix says that it runs on Intel.
http://www.qsatoolworks.com/tlw/2009/nov30.html

But really, WHETHER IT DOES OR IT DOESN'T IS IRRELEVANT. The product hasn't been discontinued and it is still being sold and developed.

Really, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT HELIX, but, by definition, the fact that it is still being sold and continually developed means that it's not "dead."

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, but your definition of usable software is suspect, again I would question either your ability to critique software objectively. You chose to argue with someone that has actually used the software in question, which I can just about guarantee you have not.

Whether or not I've ever used Helix is entirely irrelevant. I have no opinion about the product, nor do I care to develop one.

The only thing that I'm arguing with you over is your claim that the product is "dead." By any rational definition, it isn't. I'M NOT "CRITIQUING" THE PRODUCT, NOR HAVE I MADE ANY CLAIMS ABOUT ITS "USABILITY."

Now...I've endured your personal attacks on me, and your use of the invective, preferring to take the high road. But since you feel that it's okay to get personal with me, let's talk about *you*.

You've just joined this group. You've posted four times. You dredged up an old thread about databases and taken it in a direction that it hadn't started in. It looks to me as if you have a vendetta against the folks who make Helix and you just joined this discussion list to bad-mouth Helix.

You are like a jilted lover. You're unhappy and petulant because they haven't lived up to your expectations. You are so angry with them that when I simply pointed out that they are still selling the product and producing updates (which are undeniable facts) you felt it necessary to lash out at me, call me names, and claim that I'm a "Helix supporter" and infer that I like and/or recommend the product, neither of which is the case.

Well, guess what? Nobody cares about your vendetta with Helix. Get over it. Joining discussion forums just to vent about Helix is both infantile and a waste of both your time and ours. Find yourself a new database program to use, and move on. Get a life.

Like I said, I posted originally to head off anyone considering using Helix. Helix doesn't work as the QSA Toolworks site suggests that it does, not even close. A new user could not even build a database in Helix unless they could run Classic, that fact is buried deep in the long winded documentation.

As an Apple user since the IIe I would like to draw more users to Mac by posting honest assessments of products, not try and blow sunshine up their as$. I had also commented on FMP and 4D, both are fine products, well supported and run on all currently available hardware. Randy chooses to whine about Helix.

Fortunately I have a lot of work to do and really don't have time to waste posting in forums, especially getting in a "flame war" as whiny as this one. My apologies to those who have endured Randy's posts, I shouldn't have let myself get drawn into a useless discussion.
Best Regards
Phil

Funny thing is he/she was slamming me for dredging up an old thread, it is the top of the list on google and I really have wanted to post on here for some time. I have just been to busy.
Regards
Phil

Randy chooses to whine about Helix.

No, actually I've chosen to comment on your being a disturbed, out of touch with reality, LIAR.

My apologies to those who have endured Randy's posts, I shouldn't have let myself get drawn into a useless discussion.
l

You're right about one thing. If you are so disturbed that you are completely out of touch with reality, you shouldn't be posting in a public forum, or associating with normal people.

Back