A good idea...

Requires XP Professional... Too bad it's meant for home use and most Home XP users use Home edition...

Geez, MS's thinking is flawed. :confused:

thats true... kindof stupid. Apple should do it though. It's a logical connection from bluetooth (for wireless usb-like devices) and airport. one other flaw is that if you use that as your screen for your home computer as well, you are either stuck with a really small monitor, or a really bulky tablet...

Originally posted by Ricky
Requires XP Professional... Too bad it's meant for home use and most Home XP users use Home edition...

Geez, MS's thinking is flawed. :confused:

Basically what you're getting with XPPro is a stripped down version of terminal services and that is what allows the thing to work (much better than a "dumb" solution like vnc over the limited bandwidth of wifi).

Anyone who's seriously considering spending $1000 for these things, might not blink at paying another $200 for a XPPro license if you really need this kind of functionality (and aren't savy enough to use a laptop and vnc). Honestly, this is obviously a "luxury" item (you could easily purchase two pc's for the price of one of these) so I don't think the requirement is so off the wall.

That being said, I personally think that this is a technology that is not ready for prime time. It's too slow and waaaay too expensive. Techies will do the laptop thing anyway, and only the well healed will go for something like this. This looks like more of a Windows CE group pet project.

The only difference between that thing and any normal laptop is that the Smart Display uses touchscreen technology while laptops use a keyboard and trackpad (usually). It's basically a giant PDA that uses Windows XP. What they should do first is add touchscreen technology to laptops, even if it jacks up the price, because the monitor's right there but you can still use the keyboard.

Originally posted by arden
It's basically a giant PDA that uses Windows XP. ...

Just a point of clarification, the display itself uses CE. You need XP Pro running on the host computer (because you need terminal services or whatever they're calling the stripped down version).

btw, you can add a touch sensitive film to most laptops if you really want the touch screen abilities. The biggest drawback to this approach is that touch screens, given a laptops form factor ,isn't very convenient (i.e. you can't fold the display all the way over to create a "tablet", making holding the thing and inputing via touch a tricky maneuver.)

I just watched the little promo film for the 'thing'.. Did any of you notice that you never saw anyone write any thing?!
I don't know but how well and how fast can you write using it??.. Isn't it easier and cheaper to get a little laptop insted?? Much more useful aswell.

Just my two cents

Viktor

Maybe Apple will follow through on this half-thought idea. If Apple were to do so, we'd have 17-PowerDisplays with inkwell on screen capabilities, airport functionality, and a host of other features MS never thought of (because they are a software company - not a hardware company).

Just a side thought - Apple is the only company around that works like Digital Equipment did. They make their own hardware, software to run the hardware, and they don't follow - they lead.

Originally posted by jeffrito
Maybe Apple will follow through on this half-thought idea. If Apple were to do so, we'd have 17-PowerDisplays with inkwell on screen capabilities, airport functionality, and a host of other features MS never thought of (because they are a software company - not a hardware company).

And cost $3000 ;) Plus the thing already has handwriting recognition (and if it's as good as on the tablets, it's not that bad at all) and wifi, what other types of things would the hardware company come up with?

Just a side thought - Apple is the only company around that works like Digital Equipment did. They make their own hardware, software to run the hardware, and they don't follow - they lead.

There is that little company called IBM. Maybe not with PC's, but for sure with workstations and the big iron (just like DEC of yore).

It's about time Apple got a chance to take a MS idea and run with it. The chance comes along so seldom. Hopefully they won't hop on the MS port-a-potty or computerized watch ideas.

Originally posted by kbata
It's about time Apple got a chance to take a MS idea and run with it. The chance comes along so seldom. Hopefully they won't hop on the MS port-a-potty or computerized watch ideas.

Dont be daft! Apple wont just plainly copy an idea from MS! They'll make a far superiour version instead... and it'll cost more... probably ;)

Anyway, I think im ok with my iMac. I mean the screens thin, and I can carry it about... it just wont work to well

it probably doesn't work properly.... this is microsoft and windows and its wireless. When did Microsoft prove its amazing wireless capabilities last? Airport? no, airport is Apple. It probably can go only so far........ unless it uses your cell phone and internet. This is too complicated, MS just wants to do something better than apple. You're right - A good idea, but MS made it first.

Originally posted by Androo
it probably doesn't work properly.... this is microsoft and windows and its wireless. When did Microsoft prove its amazing wireless capabilities last? Airport? no, airport is Apple. It probably can go only so far........ unless it uses your cell phone and internet. This is too complicated, MS just wants to do something better than apple. You're right - A good idea, but MS made it first.

It uses standard 802.11b, which is exactly what airport is. Windows has been able to do wireless long before Apple came along with airport. I don't want to degrade this into another Apple vs Microsoft flame fest, but please at least read the information on the product before commenting.

Originally posted by binaryDigit
It uses standard 802.11b, which is exactly what airport is. Windows has been able to do wireless long before Apple came along with airport. I don't want to degrade this into another Apple vs Microsoft flame fest, but please at least read the information on the product before commenting.

...Windows XP that M$ got wireless right :p :D ;)

:)

again though, you wonder about the range and the speed that you can access your XP hard drive with. Probably if people want true connectivity out of 30 or so feet, they'll have to buy a radio station and attach it to their computer. Also it makes you wonder about security, and responsiveness as an actual monitor...

At first I believed that if it was available for apple i'd get it, but on second thought...

Originally posted by hulkaros
...Windows XP that M$ got wireless right :p :D ;)

:)

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that it wasn't until XP that M$ shipped wireless drivers with the OS? I first used wireless on the original 2Mb 802.11 standard (Proxim equipment) on nt4. I know earlier "non-standard" versions were available way before then.

Originally posted by thisbechuck
again though, you wonder about the range and the speed that you can access your XP hard drive with. Probably if people want true connectivity out of 30 or so feet, they'll have to buy a radio station and attach it to their computer. Also it makes you wonder about security, and responsiveness as an actual monitor...

Well it the range would be whatever range you'd normally get given your particular house/building and whichever wireless card they happen to be using. Remember, this is standard wifi stuff, nothing special here. Need more range, buy a booster/yagi/whatever. Need security, use WEP (though with the amount of data that would be coming over, it would probably make cracking your WEP key even easier). Responsiveness, not even close to a real monitor. It's an interesting use of technology, but without 802.11g or 802.11a, I can't see it being used for much more than some highly specialized purposes. Even with those technologies, it's a pretty expensive solution to a problem that not many people have.

What, this is still just the display? Meaning you need a separate computer somewhere in the house?

Oh, THAT is stupid!

I thought this was basically a big PDA! I thought it was an all-in-one-monitor computer. This is even dumber, because you're limited in range and you have to have another expensive computer sitting under a desk, sucking power.

That's another thing, how do they power this thing? It can't be solar for inside use, it can't use batteries because it (looks like it) has a full-color screen, and it can't use cords because that would defeat the purpose. What the hell, man?

Back